Hacking Been out of it for a bit - best way to update a hacked 3.2 Wii

nintendough

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used my Wii in a while and wanted to update it to play NSMW since I received it as a gift. My Wii is at 3.2U and I have homebrew channel on it (along with some custom injected WADs). I have a bunch of points on the Nintendo store and generally like to buy games (like seeing them on my shelf I guess) but I'd like to keep homebrew options open.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can upgrade my Wii but keep a backdoor open and even if it's possible to keep using my Wii with downloaded games (would be nice to load my own games from DVD and then have quicker loading or no need to switch discs, is that possible?). I know the issue of owning a game or not isn't a big deal here but would it be easier to rip games from my discs or download them from the tracker?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured it would be better to check here before foolishly upgrading my Wii and being stuck in a position where I lose all ability to homebrew.

Thanks!

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just do the simplistic mod. It works on any Wii including your 3.2.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

The guide will answer all the questions you asked. If you do what's in the guide, you'll have an full homebrew 4.2 SM and all the nice new stuff you've missed out on by staying on 3.2. Updated shop channel, SDHC support, ability to move to and play Wiiware/VC from the SD.

Legit games will still run fine, but I highly recommend going with USB loading. USB Loader GX will rip your bought games right to an external HD, and then you can keep the originals in the covers, safe and sound. No scratches, no sticky kid fingers, etc. It's also a lot more convenient choosing the games from a list than dragging out the discs every time you want to play one.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could have used the search button.

but anywho, you can keep your system menu and just install IOSes and channels with DOP-IOS. you will be able to play all the new games and use the shop channel and keep 3.2.

also, you can install the latest HBC and then update. the newest HBC will survive the update just fine.

DozerGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retrievil said:
Just do the simplistic mod. It works on any Wii including your 3.2.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

The guide will answer all the questions you asked. If you do what's in the guide, you'll have an full homebrew 4.2 SM and all the nice new stuff you've missed out on by staying on 3.2. Updated shop channel, SDHC support, ability to move to and play Wiiware/VC from the SD.

Legit games will still run fine, but I highly recommend going with USB loading. USB Loader GX will rip your bought games right to an external HD, and then you can keep the originals in the covers, safe and sound. No scratches, no sticky kid fingers, etc. It's also a lot more convenient choosing the games from a list than dragging out the discs every time you want to play one.
+1

nintendough

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:

but anywho, you can keep your system menu and just install IOSes and channels with DOP-IOS. you will be able to play all the new games and use the shop channel and keep 3.2.

also, you can install the latest HBC and then update. the newest HBC will survive the update just fine.

So is it better to go with the 4.2 SM (what does SM stand for?) route or keeping my menu and using DOP-IOS (what is that)?

I mean, really, I mainly want custom firmware and HBC for convenience. I own and buy all my own games but being able to keep all my games on an external HDD (and not worry about discs getting damaged when kids are playing) would be sweet. Should I follow that guide or is there a different and/or easier way for me since I know 3.2 firmware was more forgiving as far as custom firmware/homebrew went...

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If you go the USB route (ripping discs or downloading to an external usb drive) it negates any need to update (for games) as it strips out the update partition on the disc however most likely your cIOS will be out of date (if you even have one!) as it requires rev9 or later (its currently at rev17).

One benefit of DOP-IOS (just google the word and the first hit from wiibrew.org will tell you eveything you need to know about it) is that it is a means to update and install various IOSes so that they are compatible with the latest firmware (4.2). For instance you cant use the shop channel on 3.2 right now without the Wii asking for an update. This is because the IOS version it is now using with the latest 4.2 firmware is different to what it was on 3.2 - DOP-IOS allows you use update to the correct IOSes to allow such functionality whilst still remaining on 3.2.

However if you are playing via disc as well as USB its might be easier to use the 4.2 update guide as that includes everything you need.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
nintendough said:
giantpune said:

So is it better to go with the 4.2 SM (what does SM stand for?) route or keeping my menu and using DOP-IOS (what is that)?

I mean, really, I mainly want custom firmware and HBC for convenience. I own and buy all my own games but being able to keep all my games on an external HDD (and not worry about discs getting damaged when kids are playing) would be sweet. Should I follow that guide or is there a different and/or easier way for me since I know 3.2 firmware was more forgiving as far as custom firmware/homebrew went...

System Menu

timishu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mruno said:
or you can update with pimp my wii...

Just use Dop-IOS MOD. You can download the IOS that the System Menu needs, Trucha Patch it, and install the System Menu you want. Just keep in mind you'll want some brick protection installed before and after you do this.

changeling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the quickest and easiest way for you to play your NSMB would be to install preloader (I use preloader0.30) and enable the hack "Skip disc updates".

You can also easily play games from USB by simply installing cIOS to slot 249.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You might as well update to 4.1 at least since there's nothing you can do on 3.2 that you can't do on 4.1 except for the Twilight Hack (and 4.1 has some bug fixes and optimisations, as well as the SD Channel). For that I'd suggest using DOP-IOS Mod to make sure you have all the various IOS and that they are up to date, then I'd use NUS Downloader to download the files/make a WAD of System Menu 4.1 for your region, which you could then install with one of the WAD managers.

On top of that, you could use Startpatch to patch the system menu or get Priiloader installed. Those are two ways you could make the system menu skip updates.

nintendough

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I tried to update the HBC channel and now nothing happens when I go to the HBC nothing happens.

Soooo, I'm at 3.2 and can't access the HBC. Time to run the Zelda hack again or what?

nintendough

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Use bootmii (either as boot2 or an IOS and make a nand backup so no matter what you still have a chance to save your wi no matter what stupid mistake you make)
How can I access Bootmii if I can't run HBC? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with BootMii...

Scratch that, I just turned my Wii on and HBC worked and should be updating now.

So there are quite a few options. Is there one that'llbe easiest as far as keeping all my stuff goes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo