Been away for a while...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kibido, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Kibido
    OP

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Hello everyone, and thank you in advance. I've been away from the scene for quite some time and I can't tell what's changed and what's not. I have a factory New 3DS with 9.0.0-20E, what can I do with my Gateway cards? Can I play games? Go online and everything? Could you link me a tutorial on how to install the cards? Thanks.

2. rickycoe123

rickycoe123 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2014

With 9.0 your in luck. You can go have fun. Install .cia to go online though.

3. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    yes yes yes yes. gateway actually has a newer guide on their website. I'll link you to a few posts​
    gateway official manual: click here
    emuNAND tools for backing up your emuNAND :click here
    currently gateway does not support latest firmware​
    Do not update your emuNAND
    I misread your post aha sorry. ninty knows how to confuse people
    guide for OLD 3DS only

impulseADH likes this.
  4. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    The OP capitalized New, I'd assume it's a N3DS. If so, it should be noted that downgrading isn't for those. Don't try it.

blinkzane likes this.
  5. rickycoe123

rickycoe123 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2014
    Cannot downgrade a N3DS so this option is not for you. You cannot use the DS profile exploit, using the Browser is your only option (unless OOT or Cubic).

6. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    oops I completely missed that, I blame nintendo. sorry!

7. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    How did you get the browser exploit to work on the New 3DS?

8. Shadowtrance

Shadowtrance GBAtemp Addict

May 9, 2014
    Hervey Bay, Queensland
    You don't, because it's a different browser on the N3DS...

9. rickycoe123

rickycoe123 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2014
    Sorry guys. Was half seeing when writing this, was half talking about the New and Old 3DS. Please excuse me.

10. Kibido
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Thanks for the replies! So, basically, all I can do is shove my Gateway card right up my ass? Can't do anything?

11. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    If you have Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time you can use it. If not, there isn't another way to use a GW on N3DS iirc.

12. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    Basically, for N3DS you need either ocarina of time or cubic ninja plus the red card
    For O3DS you only need the red card

13. Kibido
    OP

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Bummer, is this going to get "fixed" sooner or later? If I buy one of those games, will it be a one time install or will I have to do some sort of bs every time i want to play a backup? Thanks, always super helpful on this board.

14. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    At the moment you need use to cart to boot into emunand. If you power off or crash you need to do it again.

15. WhoAmI?

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    If you decide to buy either CN or OOT, I'd recommend CN because it has homebrew channel and has more support in my opinion (look at KARL - they're using CN).

16. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    1) Using OOT requires using another Gateway on another machine to install the exploit. With CN, you can scan a QR code to install the exploit. So I'd definitely use CN.

2) Homebrew channel works with a ROM of CN as well as a real CN, so right now you can get homebrew channel with either one (up until you upgrade the EmuNAND, but that's not possible now anyway). Furthermore, using the actual CN cart for homebrew channel, rather than a ROM, is a pain because you need to keep installing the other exploit on your CN--you can't install them both at the same time.

17. Kenneth196

Kenneth196 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    Quick Question -
    Interesting point. Few questions:

1) I've used my CN for homebrew in the past (when Ninjax (sp) came out). Just to verify, I can use the Gateway exploit with it right (which will overwrite the Ninjax exploit)?

2) For homebrew, it's more efficient to use a CN Rom?

3) The only homebrew I really use is the Playcoin setter. Can I just install the .cia of that and use that, or do I have to use the homebrew channel via a CN rom (if that makes any sense)?

18. WhoAmI?

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball

Yeah, that is the downside. Still better than OOT imo.

19. WhoAmI?

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball

1.) You can use the Gatewait exploit but yes, it will mean that you have to wipe Ninjhax first (why didn't GW just make a .3dsx? Idiots... They don't know what customers want).
    2.) For Homebrew, if there's a .cia version available, you can install it on GW emuNAND (I think playcoin is in .cia, you're in luck).
    3.) Second question answers that - you don't need HB channel if you can install a .cia.

Kenneth196 likes this.
  20. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I have play coin installed as cia.

I bought a sky for several reasons and one was as a multi tool for all the CN exploits. Cheaper than buying 3 or 4 copies. Although indomitable three copies but both my boys have n3ds as well.

Kenneth196 likes this.