Been Away a Long Time. Anything New?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by norain, Aug 3, 2011.

Aug 3, 2011
  1. norain
    OP

Newcomer norain Member

United States
    Last time I was here to talk about the Wii was probably almost two years ago.

My wii originally came with version 2.0 firmware and I updated it to 3.0 and then 3.2.

The last time I needed to update anything was I believe when the last metroid game came out last year.

If I remember right I'm on CIOS version 14 (does that sound right?) and I have one of those systems where you could install bootmii to whatever memory sector that was and that worked just fine.

So I just need to be updated on:

1. What the current CIOS version is
    2. What versions of those (this is gonna sound REALLY bad... but I don't even remember what the files are called. you've got v249, and jesus I can't remember. Those files that are patched with each version number. on 4.0 system menu and up they are replaced with stubs.)
    3. What are the main homebrew apps and their current version numbers.

I know if I spent six or seven hours looking through threads I could find all this information, but obviously if I've been away this long its because I really, really don't have much time. (Economic crisis and alll...) I work 12-14 hours a day and just have a couple of minutes here and there to be online between spending time with the wife and spending time with the kids.

So I'd appreciate if some of you younger people could put me up to speed.

Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    OK so to the latest thing: We are on cIOS249 d2x v6, that's a mod from waninkoko's cIOS249 v21 (so your v14 is really old [​IMG] ) We now load everything from a USB HDD, this is much better. The recommend system menu is 4.1, the latest 4.3 but since 4.1 the only changes are blocks for exploits. The homebrew channel (1.0.8) can now load everything from USB in the fast USB 2.0 speed, thanks to nintendo's IOS58. If you remember these problematic games like metroid prime trilogy or sam and max which are using IOS reloading, that works fine now even from a USB HDD! If you remember these alt dols that's unneeded thanks to this change [​IMG]
    The easiest thing for you is to update your wii using ModMii, the thread is sticky so no problem to find it.
    I hope that helps you a bit [​IMG]

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm sorry, but you are going to have to be a little more specific; there are a lot of homebrew applications out there. For example, I pretty much only use Configurable USB Loader v70 and WiiMC 1.1.8.

I should also point out that there have been some other updates that you don't really ask about but are recommended. For example, the latest version of the Homembrew Channel uses IOS58 now for USB2.0 support. I recommend you use ModMii to install/update all of your IOS files. There is also no reason not to update your system menu to version 4.1 with ModMii, but I guess that is not relevant to backup loading.

4. norain
    OP

Newcomer norain Member

United States

Thank you guys SO MUCH. I really do appreciate it.

"IOS files" are the ones I was thinking of. [​IMG] (feel like a bit of a fool for forgetting that... but I guess I'm just getting old.)

I'm not even sure I have IOS58 installed unless it came out a long time ago.

@Lacius There was a program... I believe called DOPIOS or maybe just DOP... that would check all the IOS files on your Wii and tell you which ones you had and which ones you didn't. The version I have is Modv6 from 2009 (yeah... THAT long ago.)

So Im guessing, assuming they're still around, the newest version would tell me what I'm missing.

Also, what's the safest method of updating to 4.1? (I don't want to lose access to Boot2 or whatever it was called...)

Thanks so much for all the help guys! I've been hacking systems (C64, NES, SNES, N64...) and helping people online since the 80's but when you get older... life interrupts!

Enoy it while it lasts. [​IMG]

EDIT: Sorry Luscius. Just reread your post. Looks like ModMii is the way to go. Thanks for all the help!

5. Lacius

United States
    If you want to see exactly what is on your Wii, run a sysCheck. You can also copy and paste the results here.

To install/update your IOS files, I suggest you use the ModMii Wizard. Tell it you are on a low system menu version and say you want to update to 4.1 (recommended). You may also use ModMii to install 249d2x56 and 250d2x57.

6. norain
    OP

Newcomer norain Member

United States
    Again I really appreciate it.

Hopefully one day (maybe on the next Nintendo system...) I can return the favor. [​IMG]

7. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    DOP-IOS has been updated and is now called DOP-MII (Just google it, there is a wiibrew version, with less features, and then the regular version)
    There is also Multi-Mod Manager and Wii-Mod, which allow you to do the same kind of things.

For updating the system menu to 4.1, you can use any of those apps, or ModMii, but you will probably have to install bootmii as boot2 again after doing the update (DON'T FORGET!)

8. Lacius

United States
    When using ModMii to install a new version of the system menu, boot2 is not touched. Boot2 is only touched when using the Hackmii Installer or when doing an official Wii update.

9. drmarvin

Member drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    All that stuff is great, and will get USB loaders going (which is awesome), but there is something else available that you can play with called SNEEK/UNEEK. Once I got this going, I've been a real fan, especially when I got UNEEK+DI going yesterday. You can have lots of WiiWare/VC on your USB drive with perfect compatibility, and you can have USB loading to the Disc channel with the DI module. The great thing about it is there is no issues with cIOS, you can customize things, and if you screw up your virtual NAND, it doesn't kill your Wii. No more issues with only 512meg of internal memory, and it works beautifully. You can still easily switch between real and virtual NAND using switch2SNEEK/switch2UNEEK. I think you have to be on a 4.x SM to use it, but you can have multiple virtual NAND versions if you want.

It's a great option, and as with anything, I love getting a device to do more than it was originally intended.

All of this, including NAND creation, can be done with ModMii. One thing you will need is the setting.txt file from your real NAND. It means you can keep your remotes synced properly with real and any virtual NANDs.

Cheers. Have fun.