Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Awesome, thanks! I have had a few android tablets. I have an iPhone because of how secure it is, but an android tablet for its flexibility. I love how I can stay on whatever firmware on android. Also had a custom rom on my galaxy tab 2 10.1. That was the best. So snappy.
I hate on iPhone when you HAVE TO update (even if you hold out for as long as you can). Eventually software kills hardware.

The thing is though, all new Android devices usually have bootloaders locked, which needs permission first to unlock. You can apply right now so by the time you get one you have those permissions, once you have an account with permissions, you can unlock any xiaomi device with it every 30 days. https://en.miui.com/unlock/

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an iPhone because of how secure it is, but an android tablet for its flexibility.
The level of security on systems is ever-debatable and conditions ever-changing. Don't trust anyone's claims that a system is secure or more secure than another system. All you can really do is research and come up with your own conclusions.

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-ios-vs-google-android-which-more-secure-smartphone-os-1547396

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/googles-adrian-ludwig-says-android-is-more-secure-than-ever/

https://www.securitynewspaper.com/2...han-apple-no-need-to-spend-on-a-bitten-apple/

Reactions: slaphappygamer

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a daily reminder that liking men does not make you gay.

- Proud iPhone User with AirPods™

Reactions: Tizm

SantaClaus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Apple's MAC address randomisation is shit. Networks which you are not connected to get a random MAC address. Networks which you have connected to get your real MAC address. It's very easy for shopping centers and Starbucks to track iPhone users. I don't have a source for this point but you can verify this claim in nmap or Wireshark.

Port 62078 which is only used for iTunes Wi-Fi sync is open and can only be closed by jailbreaking the phone. Someone who has your iPhone's pairing keys can dump your phone or a day 0 exploit can screw you over.

Source: https://gist.github.com/pwnsdx/cc82feb97f451f26c24b

They have also added DRM to their batteries so if you replace the battery on the iPhone XS, XS Plus, or XR, you will get a message saying that your phone's battery needs a service and it can't display the battery's peak performance capacity or maximum capacity.

Source: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...o-specific-iphones-a-nightmare-for-diy-repair

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple's MAC address randomisation is shit. Networks which you are not connected to get a random MAC address. Networks which you have connected to get your real MAC address. It's very easy for shopping centers and Starbucks to track iPhone users. I don't have a source for this point but you can verify this claim in nmap or Wireshark.

Port 62078 which is only used for iTunes Wi-Fi sync is open and can only be closed by jailbreaking the phone. Someone who has your iPhone's pairing keys can dump your phone or a day 0 exploit can screw you over.

Source: https://gist.github.com/pwnsdx/cc82feb97f451f26c24b

They have also added DRM to their batteries so if you replace the battery on the iPhone XS, XS Plus, or XR, you will get a message saying that your phone's battery needs a service and it can't display the battery's peak performance capacity or maximum capacity.

Source: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...o-specific-iphones-a-nightmare-for-diy-repair
Pretty sure that's by design, as randomised MAC addresses can mess up session and authentication. My Android device works the same way, otherwise I'd have to log in to the public WiFi I use over and over. I know Android let's you view/set whether you randomise or not per known SSID, not sure about iOS though.

If you want the best of both, spoof your MAC address then change it occasionally.

Last edited by IncredulousP,

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry mates, but android has shit controller support, if you like 150~300 heck, even .5 seconds input lag, even wired controllers too, me has S7 with 8 core exynos CPU, and yeah, I can run shit, but can't run a low level tunnel for faster HID driver access... Oooooof

Deleted member 506316

100% Shit, 0% Post
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry mates, but android has shit controller support, if you like 150~300 heck, even .5 seconds input lag, even wired controllers too, me has S7 with 8 core exynos CPU, and yeah, I can run shit, but can't run a low level tunnel for faster HID driver access... Oooooof
Even worse you can't even root most S7 models lol.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even worse you can't even root most S7 models lol.
This is probably the case in the US, not so much in Europe.

Had an US Verizon Note 3 and bootloader unlock keys weren't being distributed by OEM.

S7 is pretty opened up these days tho.

I have heard people suggest this, I did try to use it on me s5 with a DS3, never good enough, such shame. uwu

Last edited by Mollycule,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying