Hardware battery mod question

Lunchbox7985

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i want to mod my psp, and I have found a few guides on doing different mods, but nobody really seems to understand what they are doing, its just a simple

"hey this might work, *does it*, ok it looks like it worked and it didn't catch fire"

also most of the sites that have these tutorials are dead links, missing pictures and the like.

so the psp battery, like most lithium batteries, has a circuit board that includes some sort of charging protection. ive read about balancing circuits too, but the psp is only 3.6 volts, so its only one cell.

what people are doing online is, taking the psp battery apart, cutting the positive and negative from the cell, and hooking their own cell up to the original batteries circuit board.

what im not sure of is.
1, should the board/psp see the extra capacity and adjust the "time left" accordingly.
I thought lithium batteries, at least in smart phones, discharge rate was non linear, so there was some computing going on in the device, and that every now and then you had to recharge it all the way, then use it til it died to re sync the battery indicator
2, is the capacity of the cell somehow hard coded into the circuit board and the bigger cell might cause problems
3, would you be able to charge it using the psp
4, if I did do 2 cells in parallel, then do you need a balancing circuit, or is that only for cells in series

probably some other questions but that's all I can think of right now. I realize the chances of someone being familiar with the psp specifically are slim, but im hoping lithium battery tech is pretty standard. im thinking about doing 2 or 3 18650s in parallel.

Lunchbox7985

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly, im still in the planning stages. its running CFW so i dont need the UMD drive anymore. i can get a 2000mah usb battery pack for about $3. i think its just got an 18650 in it, i would prefer running 2 of those directly to the battery circuit board, and if charging them via the psp would be a problem, i could keep the usb charging circuit that comes with them and charge them individually

but i was thinking about just making a "backpack" that screws on where the camera attaches, then fastening 2 of those to it. then making a 2 inch or so cable with usb on one end and the charging cable on the other. i could switch the bottom one on when the internal went dead, then switch them when the first one went dead. that would be the simplest method, but the least
convenient

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb