Battery Life question

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Tom Bombadildo, Mar 25, 2012.

Mar 25, 2012

Battery Life question by Tom Bombadildo at 10:49 PM (1,046 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Welp, seeing how I've managed to ruin my MP3 player, I've been wondering how well the Vita's battery lasts as a media player? Like, does anyone listen to music on it for a prolonged period of time? I would say I would use it for a total of 3 hours a day for music during classes and such, I would think this would be more than enough but I'm just curious to exactly how long it'd last.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    From some brief research, it says that it's about 9 hours battery life when only using music and in standby mode.

In all honesty though, Vita cards are still really pricey, you're much better off using something like a phone or even another handheld if you have it (like a 3DS or PSP). Of course I find dedicated music players are usually the best but condensing your electronics and saving some cash does take priority over sound quality and the like.

I got my info here and it's apparently from the Vita spec sheet, but battery life is usually more reliable when done by customers, the official ones usually seem a bit, erm, "stretched".

3. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    I used to use my phone, but I have and HTC Evo 4G which is notorious for it's terrible battery life. Used to go maybe 3 hours and it'd be down to

4. Warlord698

Member Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you can always get a USB external battery for about $30 which holds 1150Mah (about 1 whole battery). you just plug your USB charger (pending it came with a cable that is for both charging and syncing, which i have seen some d-bag companies not do from time to time) unto it and flip the switch to on. or wait for the external battery to come out for the VITA in a month or so which gives at least a 1Amp input (rapid charge for phones)

5. Un4tural

Member Un4tural GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i dont see why not use vita for music... you do 3hours music will still have around 2hours of games left i guess. though the sheer size of the thing is an issue and sound quality isn't really better than my xperia x10... it is fine until you crank up the volume, then it starts... not behaving right. Unlike my m11x lappy. horay for decent sound cards in laptops :)

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I've found that playing PSP games (MHFU) scarcely drains the battery at all, even with ad-hoc multiplayer. I would guess 6-8 hours. Haven't tried playing Uncharted yet though, so I don't know how it lasts for the big Vita games.

7. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    Well, after 2 days of experimenting it seems the Vita can last a long while playing music. Went through about 4 hours of music, coupled in with some Uncharted and Motorstorm RC afterwards for a few hours and the battery was still slightly above half. Not bad, Vita, not bad.

8. Supernova741

Newcomer Supernova741 GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    When using it for music, mine last around 3.5-4 houres.

9. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    Really? Cuz mine lasts an upwards of 7-8 hours.

10. Supernova741

Poland
    Eather my battery is really f'd up, or someone is playing my vita behind my back :ninja: , gonna test it the next couple of days...
    How long does your battery last when playing games?

11. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

pip
    United States
    When playing games it lasts...4 to 5 hours I think. 6 or so when playing PSP games.

12. Supernova741

Poland
    Allright that's it, something is really wrong with my battery. Mine only lasts like 3 houres top. Gonna return it next week!

13. Warlord698

Member Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    question are you leaving the bluetooth and wifi active with the system in use (not in standby playing) because all 3 of those factors will drain it much faster