Banner or Wad checker?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by misteromar, May 26, 2009.

May 26, 2009

Banner or Wad checker? by misteromar at 2:24 PM (2,805 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. misteromar
    OP

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I have been looking around for knowledge on wads.

From what I understand, wads are region specific and using the wrong region wont brick your wii but simply wont work. But you can use a tool like "freethewads" to over come this.

The other thing is the risk of banner bricking your wii, if there is something wrong with the wad.

This brings me to the question I most want to know, is there a tool or such to test if wad is ok before you try installing it? Is there way of telling?

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Use preloader.

3. misteromar
    OP

Australia
    Im gonna wait for bootmii to finish its beta, then use that to backup the NAND. Apparently that makes you able to recover from bricking.

I just thought since "banner bricking" is one of the major ways of killing a Wii there might be a tool or such for checking wads before installation. People in the Wii scene are pretty ingenious and all.

Some people say only use trusted wads, but its not exactly fool proof. Most of the ones I have found are rapidshare or such and torrents.

4. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  5. ecw

Member ecw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think this is a great question. You would think there would be a way to check the Wad. Hmmmm.

6. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    I dont see why people are so obsessed about bootmii.
    Sure, my Wii cant install it but I can do everything it can do with commen sense, preloader and IOS.

7. mydarxide

Newcomer mydarxide Advanced Member

United States
    I would love to see some sort of way to test banners for WADS sense I am just starting to get into making custom Graphics for my Channels to have a more unified theme to my wii.

8. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    IMO, i think that the dolphin emulator should let you test things like this.

there should be like a normal wii menu and NAND storage emulation if you get me. where you could put your wii's NAND dumpso the emulator would be just like your actual wii (that way you kinda get a wii laptop [​IMG])

and if the wad is bad, it would react the same way in which a normal wii would, in the sense that it could brick and give you errors like the system files are corrupt maybe.

it's like testing it where it can be fixed so so easily by copying the IOS that got corrupt or the system menu or whatever, can just be copied back into the folder again for a re-test. because lets be honest, it's not going to corrupt your computers files lol

9. misteromar
    OP

Australia
    I just read somewhere that if you have all the channel slots filled up on the first page of the Wii. If you install a WAD with a bad banner, it will be installed on the second page, then you still be able to boot up your Wii and use HBC/Wad manager on the first page to remove the corrupted WAD on the second page.

Can any Wii guru's confirm this?

10. misteromar
    OP

Australia
  11. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    probably not, but for testing your wads, just use dolphin

12. schwarzyz

Newcomer schwarzyz Member

France
    You can use WadID Tool by Spirax

[​IMG]

13. misteromar
    OP

Australia
  14. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    actually its the first 2 pages filled, and yes i did test this along time back before their was even a starfall.lol only works when the banner is corrupt, it gives you about 3 seconds in the wii menu before it says system corrupt, i wouldn't rely on it though, Just install bootmii to boot2 if you can, or preloader if you can't, heck if you can install both. i would never rely on the latter that info is so OLD and i would never trust it

15. misteromar
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the info. Its hard to tell sometime between people that know what they are talking about and those who dont.