Hacking Banner or Wad checker?

misteromar

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been looking around for knowledge on wads.

From what I understand, wads are region specific and using the wrong region wont brick your wii but simply wont work. But you can use a tool like "freethewads" to over come this.

The other thing is the risk of banner bricking your wii, if there is something wrong with the wad.

This brings me to the question I most want to know, is there a tool or such to test if wad is ok before you try installing it? Is there way of telling?

misteromar

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
beegee7730 said:
Use preloader.

Im gonna wait for bootmii to finish its beta, then use that to backup the NAND. Apparently that makes you able to recover from bricking.

I just thought since "banner bricking" is one of the major ways of killing a Wii there might be a tool or such for checking wads before installation. People in the Wii scene are pretty ingenious and all.

Some people say only use trusted wads, but its not exactly fool proof. Most of the ones I have found are rapidshare or such and torrents.

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a great question. You would think there would be a way to check the Wad. Hmmmm.

D

Deleted-171178

I dont see why people are so obsessed about bootmii.
Sure, my Wii cant install it but I can do everything it can do with commen sense, preloader and IOS.

mydarxide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see some sort of way to test banners for WADS sense I am just starting to get into making custom Graphics for my Channels to have a more unified theme to my wii.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMO, i think that the dolphin emulator should let you test things like this.

there should be like a normal wii menu and NAND storage emulation if you get me. where you could put your wii's NAND dumpso the emulator would be just like your actual wii (that way you kinda get a wii laptop
tongue.gif
)

and if the wad is bad, it would react the same way in which a normal wii would, in the sense that it could brick and give you errors like the system files are corrupt maybe.

it's like testing it where it can be fixed so so easily by copying the IOS that got corrupt or the system menu or whatever, can just be copied back into the folder again for a re-test. because lets be honest, it's not going to corrupt your computers files lol

misteromar

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just read somewhere that if you have all the channel slots filled up on the first page of the Wii. If you install a WAD with a bad banner, it will be installed on the second page, then you still be able to boot up your Wii and use HBC/Wad manager on the first page to remove the corrupted WAD on the second page.

Can any Wii guru's confirm this?

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
misteromar said:
I just read somewhere that if you have all the channel slots filled up on the first page of the Wii. If you install a WAD with a bad banner, it will be installed on the second page, then you still be able to boot up your Wii and use HBC/Wad manager on the first page to remove the corrupted WAD on the second page.

Can any Wii guru's confirm this?

actually its the first 2 pages filled, and yes i did test this along time back before their was even a starfall.lol only works when the banner is corrupt, it gives you about 3 seconds in the wii menu before it says system corrupt, i wouldn't rely on it though, Just install bootmii to boot2 if you can, or preloader if you can't, heck if you can install both. i would never rely on the latter that info is so OLD and i would never trust it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...