Hacking Banner Brick

Sub Zippo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently banner bricked my wii when attempting to install the latest backup loaders. A few nights ago, tired, suffering from a headache, and just wanting to be able to play WSR, I took it upon myself to try and install the Neogamma R5 channel wad. I did manage to load it, but it took me into settings I was not familiar with, and when I tried to cancel out, it rebooted the wii, and now all I get is the Health warning screen. When I press A, I hear the normal click, my wiimote remains in sync until the timeout, but it just goes black. Also, while I was in the Neogamma settings, I could have sworn that it actually said R4 instead of R5 like what I downloaded.

I’ve done some research, and my case seems to be somewhat unique, or at least rare. About the only info I can find says that I’m screwed. A few things have pointed me to ether getting a savemii mod chip, or I did see mention of dissecting a gamecube controller and holding down all four d-pad sensors to access something. I cannot access the maintenance mode by holding + and -.

If a solution to this already exists on these boards, please forgive my inability to discover it. I’m frustrated, and my brain is slowly turning to mush as these hacks get more and more complex.. All I know is, I’m not doing anything like this without a walkthrough anymore..

My wii had 4.0 (u?) OS, with the latest HBC installed previously via the Twilight Hack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

infantilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi!
I've the same problem. My wii has 4.0 System menue with bootmii installed (sadly it wasa too late to make an nand backup). After installing the downloaded version of neogamma R5, i only get the Health screen when booting without card. Pressing A let the screen go black. Booting with card shows me the bootmii menue, but when trying to access the HBC, the neogamma loader starts instead.
PLZ: as far as i've recherched in many forums, there are a lot others with same problem. Especially as the neogamma loader is said to play sports resort, many others may end up with an bannerbricked wii.
So maybe, there's any help aout there.

I've heard, beardface once fixed broken nands (as i could dump mine), but i've not found him so far to contact.

What i've tried so far:
.) Holding 1+2 during power on the wii -> no rescue menue comming up, only the health screen
.) downloaded the wii-system-menu-update-PAL-v290-repad cd and started from neogammer loader -> leads me to an error message with lots of code
.) tested some games -> all playable
.) tried zelad (twilight) exploit but there was no gamesave on my wii so that did not work (appart it yould not have worked on FW4.0)
.) Wii service mode (gamcube controller) with original game dvd's. (Due i've FW4.0 i'd need original Sports Resort or similar to upgrade)
.) tried to convert dol's to elf (e.g. wadinstaller), but can't load from bootmii (as supposed, due they'd need IOS)
.) cboot2 (but for some reasons cboot2installer started on a working wii reports it can't find files on internet, even i've extracted wad)

Ideas:
.) maybe the ssbb exploit would save our wii's, due there's no need of an savegame, but sadly it's not released.

Help is highly required!!!!
So plz you wiigurus out there....´

Thanks for ANY help and plz....i know... a nand backup would have made my life easy.. but shit happens :-(

happyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also have the same problem.

Updated neogamma from R3 to R5 using wad manager 1.3 and restarted after successful install. Get to the press A then blank screen instead of the system menu.

Anyone if theres a fix for this? and more info needed, I don't think i installed preloader. Also didn't have bootmii so with/with out card does the same, i'm screwed right?

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If u have bootmii as boot2 restore ur old backup NAND. If you have preloader installed or bootmii as boot 2 without NAND backup go to wad manager and unistall the bad wad or reinstall your system menu wad. If u have neither send it to nintendo, buy a new wii, or use it to hold ur doors open. Oh not sure maybe a modchip could fix but that's not my area.

happyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anything special I must do to run the preloader? I don't think I installed it tho. If i send my wii back to nintendo will they know I softmodded it and reject me? is it 3 year or only 1 year? i've had this wii for atleast a year

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
happyd said:
Anything special I must do to run the preloader? I don't think I installed it tho. If i send my wii back to nintendo will they know I softmodded it and reject me? is it 3 year or only 1 year? i've had this wii for atleast a year

if u don't have preloader b4 u get bricked ur sSOL my friend. Nintendo is 1 year I think tell it happened after 4.1 update or soemthing and see what they say worst say is no.

infantilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
HI!
Thanks for reply,
the main problem seems to be, that the neogammer R5 (or r4) has overwritten the HBC. So we can't start hbc from bootmii. When choosing the hbc menue point of bootmii, the neogamma loader comes up.
neogamma loader also starts when removed from sd-card or sd-card is removed after bootmii has loaded.

PLZ... wee need help of you gurus out there....

Ive tried a lot tonight:

.) Wii ervice mode (gamcube controller) with original game dvd's. (Due i've FW4.0 i'd need Sports Resort or similar to upgrade)
.) tried to convert dol's to elf (e.g. wadinstaller), but can't load from bootmii (as supposed, due they'd need IOS)
.) cboot2 (but for some reasons cboot2installer started on a working wii reports it can't find files on internet, even i've extracted wad)

IF THERE's ANYONE THAT COULD HELP, I'D NEED AN CBOOT2 modded armboot.bin (!!!!) due i can't get cboot2installer to work
PLZ PM me(!!!!)

Many thanks for any help!!!!

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think u can boot directly into wadmanager from bootmii without going to hbc. I don't know. Why didnt u have a NAND backup?

happyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
looking at other posts about this I can get to the recovery mode with the 3.3(USA) but can I insert a orginal game with version 3.4 to restore it? Ive heard you need the modchip to run burnt games in the recovery mode but would a orginal game work as I can go out and rent one

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
happyd said:
looking at other posts about this I can get to the recovery mode with the 3.3(USA) but can I insert a orginal game with version 3.4 to restore it? Ive heard you need the modchip to run burnt games in the recovery mode but would a orginal game work as I can go out and rent one
But this won't do you much good if the b0rked channel is still there.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
happyd said:

If you hve preloader, hold reset while the wii powers up. And you can install a .dol file to your wii an you can run wad manager and delete the bad wad.

infantilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Good Morning!
I've managed to recover from my banner brick with a little help from you all and wolfstone ;-)

Situation:
.) I've got banner bricked after (neogamma r5) wad installation
.) FW4.0E, bootmii installed as boot2, no nand backup (yup, shit happens)
.) wad has overwritten hbc, so bootmii always started neogammaloader instead

Solution (at least for my case):
.) downloaded
.) downloaded hbc as wad
.) reinstalled hbc

I've packed all together and uploaded it to
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ISST6K8L

hope this will help others, too.

This will start wad manager 1.4 instead of bootmii-user insterface and let you install/remove wads, so this may be useful in other situation, too.

Your's
Peter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/