Hardware bad resolution after updating Windows 8.1

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who has had less issues with display drivers on Windows 10 than on Windows 7? My Windows 7 got so FUBAR that it couldn't even enter into screensaver/standby mode without the entire OS going to shit. I had to power cycle my computer every bloody time, and the sad part? I never found any solution on Google or Microsoft's part. I have tested monitors, I have tested HDMI cables and DisplayPort cables, all combinations, and yet at the end, it was all in vain. My Windows 7 is simply beyond saving short of a complete format, but Windows 10 has been the opposite, it actually freaking works with all my drivers. Windows 8 and 8.1 are an abomination.

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I know the issue... many TV's implement a type of overscan that kind of blurs the image. Most sets have a setting that gives you 1:1 pixel representation... you have to look for that (many TV's call it something else). basically you turn off the stupid overscan. I have an old Samsung that does not have a setting to turn it off (which is annoying), but all my other TV's have it.

basically this should be turned off for any digital source. The stupid archaic treason its there is to reduce support calls because some digital cable carriers have garbage in 1-2 lines of the image and this remove it at the cost of display accuracy and sharpness.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would have gone with windows 7 but I couldn't install it because the installer doesn't work with USB 3.0 and I have no disc drive
Come on, you can manually integrate drivers into the installer and the to-be-installed image (as well as buy an USB 2 dvd drive) :)

However, I left my PC on for a bit and when I came back the resolution had gone bad again. Is this some kind of automatic setting? Does it have anything to do with the fact that my monitor turned itself off?
It could be that, when powered off, the computer thinks the screen is disconnected and resets video settings (which shouldn't actually happen on a properly designed system, but...)

I found the solution: use an actual monitor instead of a TV
...on many TVs (consumer products, as opposed to computer products) "proper design" rarely is more than an afterthought

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: she was an apple appstore girl he was an uptodown boy