Bad customer NAND Hardware MOD (console just display blue screen now)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mvmiranda, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mvmiranda
    OP

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    Hello fellow modders,

I received a customer's 3DS xl 4.4 with a regular blue screen error resulted from a gateway tempered launcher brick.

The customer tried to do the NAND HW mod himself and ripped off the DAT0 pad.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    It turns out that this pad is connected to a resistor array through a connecting track and it was ripped off too.
    I did a wire jumper between what's left of the trace leading to bellow the NAND and the array pin corresponding to the trace without much luck!
    The console still gives me a blue screen error.
    I wonder what else I might be missing or if the resistor array is screwed up.

Reading and writing to the NAND works perfectly. I wrote the NAND.bin, extracted it again, compared to the one I wrote and the MD5s matched.

Any clues?

EDIT:
    The blue error message appears after 5 seconds.
    A "regular" flashcart brick give us "instant" blue screen. You turn it on and the error message pops up immediately.

2. andre104623

andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA
    That's what happend when my r4i deluxe version 3.3 bricked my 3ds xl and I tried to fix it myself I have good soldering skills but that doesn't matter when I dropped the mobo when I had it plugged in to the pi. I also ripped the pads off so I give up I still have everything. I was going to buy a mobo off ebay but never got a chance

mvmiranda likes this.
  3. st4rk

st4rk nah

Feb 11, 2014
    Brazil
    There is a documentation about ErrCode in BootLoader with NAND Loading here: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Bootloader

Looking for you error it look like the first but with 00400000.
    (Deixe me ver se entendi bem, o cliente raspou as trilhas da PCB ? ._. )

Margen67 likes this.
  4. mvmiranda
    OP

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    Hey st4rk,
    "Deixe me ver se entendi bem, o cliente raspou as trilhas da PCB ?"
    You asked if the customer scrapped the trace... nope I did the that... veeeeery carefully and then looked with a magnifying glass. no shorts
    The NAND inside the console isn't "locked" by the brick. I've just confirmed by wiring the the SD cable and using my RaspberryPi.

Yet, only I get is a blue screen error code.

5. st4rk

st4rk nah

Feb 11, 2014
    Brazil

Very weird, never seen this ErrCode before, i will send PM to you.

6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm thinking that the removal of that pad is perhaps preventing something else from reading properly. That's my educated guess for the day.

7. mvmiranda
    OP

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    I was looking at the resistor array with a magnifier glass and ***maybe*** the res array pin cracked and went off...
    can I just solder another resistor to "do the work of that one?

Plus, any clues on that resistor value?

8. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    100r