Homebrew Backup IR cart saves to Slot 2

TecXero

Technovert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a software solution that will allow me to backup and restore the saves for some of the later DS Pokemon games. I'd prefer to avoid WiFi as I would have to switch my settings back and forth. I have a R4i Gold, R4i clone, and an EZ4.

I have Rudolph's Slot 2 dumper, which works great for backing up my cartridges, except for the saves on cartridges with the IR port. I've checked out NDS-SAVES to SLOT-2 listed in this thread. It says it needs to be ran from the Slot-2 flashcart. I'm not sure how to run NDS homebrew from a GBA flashcart. I never had a need to mess with that before. I've Googled around with few relevant results. I'm probably just missing something.

I've tried running my EZ4 flash in DS mode from both of my R4is, but I know little about this mode, and I can't seem to find much information about running the EZ4 in that mode.

Either way, does anyone have a solution that doesn't require WiFi or an EZ3in1 (which I might eventually buy, but I just want a solution for now)?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some people said something about newer EZ4 batches lacking DS mode, I have not confirmed this though.

Anyway normally you would have either a DS slot flash cart that acts as a nopass, a flashme modified DS or an actual nopass -- by default the DS does not boot DS code from the GBA slot. Alas a lot of flash carts dropped nopass functionality (between the 3 in 1 and the lack of updates for GBA slot stuff running DS games nobody really needed it) and running a nopass type program/the loader of a cart with it (of which there are not that many methods) is annoying. Personally I go for flashme (if nothing else it removes the health and safety screen at the start) but you will have to install it, nothing especially hard but make sure you know exactly what are doing at each step.

Also you will need to DLDI patch the tools -- GBA flash carts never got auto DLDI patching, however this amounts to getting a DLDI patching tool, a DLDI patch for your GBA flash cart and pressing go on the tool. You may or may not have to add a GBA header (there are tools and they spit out a file with the extension .ds.gba), or change the extension to .bin but cross that bridge as and when.

TecXero

Technovert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the information. I knew about DLDI patching, this isn't my first GBA flashcart. I might see if I can find my old GBA flashcart and see if it supports DS mode, though I doubt it due to how old it is. If nothing else, I'll just grab an EZ 3in1 and use Pokedoc's backup tool. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing something up. Now if I could just figure out what's going on with my EZ4's NOR.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...