Hacking Backing up my backups???

sunnyhours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a homebrewed Wii with USB LoaderGX. I've ripped (right word?) my ~20 or so games onto a USB hard drive and put the physical games in a box in the attic. I can successfully play games off that USB drive. It's awesome. I love it.

I want to get rid of the box. But what do I do if the hard drive fails? Is there any way to make a copy of that hard drive? Or the files on it? I have QWBFS Manager on my Ubuntu PC, and see that I can copy ISO files from my PC onto that same hard drive, but I don't see a way to copy in the other direction. I'd love to copy the ISO files from that USB hard drive onto my PC. What's the best way? I can try to find a Windows PC if there are better tools available there.

Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
his USB is probably in WBFS format, there's no ISO to "just copy paste". it's not using FAT32 or NTFS or ext3/4

Your solution:
either use another WBFS manager (if QWBFS doesn't let you extract content to PC), or Wit/Wwt (wii WBFS tool) command line, it works on Linux and is the best tool to manage a WBFS partition content.

There are wwt GUI if you don't like command lines. I think WiiBaFu (wii backup fusion) should work on Linux.

Second solution is to convert the WBFS partition format to FAT32, you won't lose any game and it takes 2 seconds.
it's using a python script to do it, so it should work on Linux too, if not you can use windows.
wbfs2fat : https://gbatemp.net/threads/291320/
wbfs2fat guide : https://gbatemp.net/threads/292391/

once in FAT32, you can easily copy the game to PC using your file explorer. the games will be in :
/wbfs/<game's title + titleID6>/<TitleID6>.wbfs and <titleID6>.wbf1

the wbfs format is a file for defining a single wbfs partition containing one Wii game inside. the wbfs file is the same content as the one you have on your usb right now, except it's stored on a FAT32 file system with a filename to store all the used sector and size of the content.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: sunnyhours

sunnyhours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah! I had wit already. I've used it to convert wbfs to iso because qwbfs manager doesn't like wbfs files.

The USB drive is in wbfs format. Maybe that wasn't a great choice looking back.

Either way, I was able to do a
```
sudo wit copy --iso /dev/sdb1/RMCE01 /home/kevin/games/wii
```

And that looks successful. Thanks!!!!

Reactions: Cyan

sunnyhours

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't find a way to private/direct message. Any way I could throw you a few bucks on paypal? You've solved a few of my problems now. Would love to pay you back!

Falco_DJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I saw that you were a global moderator, so I decided to ask you a question. I recently tried to install Super Smash Bros Brawl on my wii, I did everything i was supposed to do. I turned on USB loader GX, inserted Brawl, and then I pressed the install game icon. It stayed on 0.00% for hours, and corrupted my drive. I had installed other games previously, and it worked fine. The games I had previously installed were, New Super Mario Bros, Kirby Return to DreamLand, Wii sports, Transformers Prime the game. I tested all these games and they worked for weeks, so I tried to install Brawl like I previously mentioned, and it corrupted the drive, my games dont even show up anymore, and my disk drive won't play games.

Thank you for any help you can provide, and in case your wandering my flash drive was on the compatibility list as working w/ no issues. Thanks again!:)

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I saw that you were a global moderator, so I decided to ask you a question. I recently tried to install Super Smash Bros Brawl on my wii, I did everything i was supposed to do. I turned on USB loader GX, inserted Brawl, and then I pressed the install game icon. It stayed on 0.00% for hours, and corrupted my drive. I had installed other games previously, and it worked fine. The games I had previously installed were, New Super Mario Bros, Kirby Return to DreamLand, Wii sports, Transformers Prime the game. I tested all these games and they worked for weeks, so I tried to install Brawl like I previously mentioned, and it corrupted the drive, my games dont even show up anymore, and my disk drive won't play games.

Thank you for any help you can provide, and in case your wandering my flash drive was on the compatibility list as working w/ no issues. Thanks again!:)
reformat it and try again, if it is the same result, try cleanRip

PS. when you reply on a thread, your asking everybody, not only the people you've seen.

Reactions: Falco_DJ

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Your post is unreadable on the dark theme, you can highlight the text and press the button in the top right to remove formatting.

Reactions: Falco_DJ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google