Backing up Kirby Tilt & Tumble's EEPROM save data

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Renegade X135, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Renegade X135

Newcomer Renegade X135 Newbie

Jun 16, 2010
    United States
    Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I am writing today, because I recently got my GB Transferer 2 device to work and backup all of my Gameboy cartridge's save files!

...except for just ONE game: Kirby Tilt & Tumble...

I recently found out that KT&T uses an EEPROM save type, as opposed to the standard SRAM battery found in almost every other cartridge. Sadly, it seems that the GB Transferer 2 only works with SRAM files.

I attempted to back up the game, and got a 128kb .sav file. When I hex-edited this file, it was nothing but a dummy file. This file did NOT work with the KT&T rom on both VisualBoy Advance (windows) or KiGB (mac)

With VBA, I started a new .sav file, and got the file back as a 1 kb save file. With KiGB, the save file was 32 kb (same as the first, but with additional 00 addresses stapled onto it)

I have no problem replicating a save file that looks exactly like the one on my cartridge - but what I am concerned about is this:

Because the cartridge uses EEPROM, does this mean that the data will last indefinitely if I do not play the game any further???

Is there ANY way to back up an EEPROM gameboy original save file???

Much thanks in advance!
    (PS - I am SOOO HAPPY that I finally got my Pokemon Gold version save data onto my computer. No longer do I have to worry about inevitable SRAM death regarding my pokemans!)