Back lit gba agb-001 problem

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by wolven9, Dec 10, 2013.

1. wolven9
    OP

wolven9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Ok I know this is the DS section... but there isn't a GBA section anymore. I bought an OG AGB-001 model GBA with a back lit screen off of ebay but the brightness isn't anywhere near as bright as the AGS-101 like its supposed to be. Is there a problem or maybe a way to increase the brightness manually? And I already know about the pot for dim contrast and that didn't help.

2. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Gba is in "Other handhelds" now.

001 is frontlit not backlit :P maybe there was a error with the listing on ebay

3. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    No its modded... Its an original GBA model (AGB-001) with a modded BACKlit screen (from a AGS-101). Trust me i know the difference between a front lit AGS-001 and a back lit AGS-101

4. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Badly soldered would be my guess then? contact the seller about it? also sorry I thought you had meant the 001 SP, its probably easier if you mention the model in a more name way then just the "model number" ;P

5. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    A badly soldered converter cable? Cuz I don't see any soldering points unless its that. Maybe its a knock off screen perhaps?

6. KDH

KDH GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Kansas
    What's most likely is that whoever modded it used the point for the lower brightness setting. The screen supports two brightness levels, but adding a switch to the mod is more work so most people go with one point or the other. I'm afraid the only solution in that case is to open the GBA, de-solder the brightness wire, and solder it to the other point.

EDIT:
    No, there is one solder point. You just need to look closer.

7. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Hmmmm Im not to good a soldering lol. Where is the point that needs to be re-soldered?

8. KDH

KDH GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Kansas
    The PDF I attached to this post has a clear picture of the solder points. The one on the left is the brighter one.

Attached Files:

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    can i steal a thread one more time and ask the diferences between diferent gba sp models?

reason: a gba sp is on my "must buy for my mini collection list" and i heard that the first model couldn't play pokemon Cristal version, and if a pokemon\wario\kirby\mario\zelda game doesn't work on it, its a no no...

10. KDH

KDH GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Kansas
    No, all GBAs except the micro can play all games from every GameBoy system perfectly.

11. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Thank you KDH that really helped =D and Migles, the difference is the AGS-001 (first SP model) has a front lit screen and is fairly dim. The AGS-101 (Later SP model) is back lit and is far superior to other lit GBA systems. Google a comparison video or picture and you'll notice the clear difference. And when it comes to the Pokemon crystal version thing... I have no clue lol Ive never heard of it.

12. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    That's what he said lol He said all GBAs EXCEPT the micro can play gb/gbc games

13. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Hmmm I took apart my gba and read the pdf but there isn't a wire soldered to that point at all 0.o

14. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    facepalm... sorry, didn't read the "except" part...

15. KDH

KDH GBAtemp Regular

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Kansas
    Well, I've heard that there are other points that you can use, but I have no idea where they are. Maybe contact the seller and see if they know? I guess it's also possible a new type of cable that doesn't require soldering in exchange for very dim illumination has been made since I modded mine.

16. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    That's the way it looks. The only connection to the PCB is the screen ribbon cable. Oh well I guess I'll contact him lol

17. kenjixx

kenjixx Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2011
    Malaysia