Author sues Ubisoft over Assassin’s Creed's Story

Actinopterygian Melospiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda surprised people are saying that it's no case because it's been used before, and then mention time travel. Last I checked, there's no actual time travel involved. They're viewing events directly from their DNA. Using a specific machine, to view their ancestors memories. I can't say I've seen another thing with that exact plotpoint in anything else but AC3.

Well, every other AC game uses that exact plotpoint too, so he could have stopped the franchise after the first game, but he hasn't.
Like I pointed out before, people like you are assuming he not only knew about the game, but also what it was about, for awhile now. A lot of people don't play video games you know? There is no reason at all to assume he would know about it.

For example, I've known about the game since the first one came out, but that's because I play video games and read video game related news. And even though I knew about the game, I've never played one so I had no idea what they were about until now.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm kinda surprised people are saying that it's no case because it's been used before, and then mention time travel. Last I checked, there's no actual time travel involved. They're viewing events directly from their DNA. Using a specific machine, to view their ancestors memories. I can't say I've seen another thing with that exact plotpoint in anything else but AC3.

Well, every other AC game uses that exact plotpoint too, so he could have stopped the franchise after the first game, but he hasn't.
Like I pointed out before, people like you are assuming he not only knew about the game, but also what it was about, for awhile now. A lot of people don't play video games you know? There is no reason at all to assume he would know about it.

For example, I've known about the game since the first one came out, but that's because I play video games and read video game related news. And even though I knew about the game, I've never played one so I had no idea what they were about until now.

That's an argument, but I've read a bit of that complaint in the OP, and the points he mentions about the game to have in common with his book seem very well-briefed.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's an argument, but I've read a bit of that complaint in the OP, and the points he mentions about the game to have in common with his book seem very well-briefed.

He's probably either played it by now, or looked into it after hearing about it recently. I'm not saying that's for sure, but it's certainly highly probable. You hear about it from a friend, or a friend who's read your work plays it, and informs you. Or some kind of chain or information like that.

So yes, you do not have to have known about it from day one to have played it. He could've easily picked up the first game after hearing about the third one, wanting to see what it is. There ARE people who only recently hear about a game, and...y'know...start from the very first game.

Reactions: 1 person

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the funny thing about this suit is that we're talking about a failed author that publishes crap book from a self publishing company, he actually pays to get his book in stores.
it's highly probable that no one ever read any of his book at Ubi.
http://www.amazon.com/Link-Beiswenger-John-L/dp/0741413485/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334859205&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=John+Beiswenger
Infinity Publishing: http://www.infinitypublishing.com/

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading Ubisoft did base the game's idea or at the very least got the basic idea's from his book. But this was a few years ago and I don't remember the exact context of the very brief article.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

He's probably either played it by now, or looked into it after hearing about it recently. I'm not saying that's for sure, but it's certainly highly probable. You hear about it from a friend, or a friend who's read your work plays it, and informs you. Or some kind of chain or information like that.

So yes, you do not have to have known about it from day one to have played it. He could've easily picked up the first game after hearing about the third one, wanting to see what it is. There ARE people who only recently hear about a game, and...y'know...start from the very first game.

I was just saying, but well, I hope this ends well for Ubisoft, as I really anticipate AC3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: I was gonna say that. lol +1