Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
australia.gif

Legislation creating an R18+ rating has just passed the Australian Federal Parliament. After years of heated debate, video games will be rated on a scale similar to films. In the past, many games have been censored or banned altogether because they could not meet the lower ratings in their current state; this should bring an end to that practice.

If all goes to plan, the rating will be implemented on January 1st of next year.
icon11.gif
Jason Clare

D

Deleted User

I seriously hope what happens with rated M games in USA doesn't happen with R18 games in Australia. T_T

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

I seriously hope what happens with rated M games in USA doesn't happen with R18 games in Australia. T_T

...Which is?

(Some) people say only rated M games are hardcore.

Same with any other medium with a rating system. If a person legitimately believes that, their opinion is obviously not all that valuable anyway.

No, but it's been happening with a lot of people, to the point that if it's crappy, it will sell millions.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Yuki Amano - That's not really an actual problem.

Anyway, on topic. This is great news for Australian gamers. For far too long, they've been screwed out of some legitimately great gaming experiences. While the mark ups on prices over there are still significant, at least this problem is being dealt with.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is about time! Can't believe it actually taken this long for this issue to be solved. Hooray for Australia today!

D

Deleted User

This is great news for those that live in Australia. They can finally enough a lot of good/bad games, but the overpricing of games will still be a problem.

I thought Australians get more money, but have to spend more money. Oh well, don't bother with me. I'll get off-topic again. :P

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Welcome to the 21st century! Good to see that some form of old bureaucracy is being changed to modern standards :)

Didn't have time to read the legislation in full, but does this include all content? Can some games still be banned because of nudity, foul language, gore or whatnot?

ps. Can the Aussies finally enjoy DoA boobies? :creep:

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats to Australia!
It's about time they let people choose if they want that type of content or not.
The less government control, the better.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The less government control, the better.

Careful with that statement there... it's good to see that legislation that makes sense is passing through Parliament. The only dick move that could happen now is if something happens in court to overrule the legislation >.> Say if crazies like Fred Nile go and take it up to the High Court to claim this is unconstitutional or some rubbish.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh my god YES! I've been waiting for this for so long! Means we can get decent games with no censorship, just so you know our government is slow when it comes to this stuff. Wow! Can't get over this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol