Australia Gets R18+ Rating

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, but it's been happening with a lot of people, to the point that if it's crappy, it will sell millions.

No one buys games based on their ratings. Certain games have been stuck with a much higher ESRB rating than they should (Halo is a prime example) and other games aim for a lower rating for a broader audience (like Red Steel 2 cut the blood and gore for a T rating, despite you still being able to shoot and slice people).

There's no prejudices on which games are "hardcore" or "casual" based on their ratings. It just so happens that in today's day and age, a lot of games are much more mature. Think of it like movies. A lot of movies are more "mature" and an overwhelming amount of releases are R rated. But that doesn't stop us hardcore movie goers from enjoying a Pixar flick like Toy Story 3 or the upcoming Brave. People my age are gonna run to the theaters for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and rush home the next day to watch Legend of Korra on TV. Ratings are just ratings, they have no outward effect on a game.

Plus plenty of parents will bar certain games with notorious reputations (I couldn't buy Grand Theft Auto until I had access to my own debit card and stuff) or based on ratings.

D

Deleted User

No, but it's been happening with a lot of people, to the point that if it's crappy, it will sell millions.

No one buys games based on their ratings. Certain games have been stuck with a much higher ESRB rating than they should (Halo is a prime example) and other games aim for a lower rating for a broader audience (like Red Steel 2 cut the blood and gore for a T rating, despite you still being able to shoot and slice people).

There's no prejudices on which games are "hardcore" or "casual" based on their ratings. It just so happens that in today's day and age, a lot of games are much more mature. Think of it like movies. A lot of movies are more "mature" and an overwhelming amount of releases are R rated. But that doesn't stop us hardcore movie goers from enjoying a Pixar flick like Toy Story 3 or the upcoming Brave. People my age are gonna run to the theaters for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and rush home the next day to watch Legend of Korra on TV. Ratings are just ratings, they have no outward effect on a game.

Plus plenty of parents will bar certain games with notorious reputations (I couldn't buy Grand Theft Auto until I had access to my own debit card and stuff) or based on ratings.

I'm talking about people that are 8-14, who are unable to comprehend the difference between hardcore and mature. I know an EIGHT year old who only owns M games. When I gave him Red Steel 2, he said "Sorry, but I only play hardcore games". I'm not talking about mature people or 15+. Most of them by then will understand the difference. And a big handful of parents don't even know what that M means on the bottom-right corner of the box.

EDIT: I'm not saying ALL 8-14 year olds do this. I certainly don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: gn