attn: people using hdd on ac power question

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jmhannz, May 1, 2017.

1. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    After you guys disable all that good sleep function stuff, plus that hidden spin down option. Do you still power on/off your HDD with your console or just leave the HDD on 24/7? I have a 1TB HDD I am using from about 2013, a WD Blue Drive. Seems to work great but no clue whats left life wise, and I don't want to start premature wearing now. Is it smart to keep turning it off when the console is not in use?

2. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    man, still nothing on this crazy. guess no one uses a HDD

3. Albireo6972

Albireo6972 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2012
    United States
    I use one with external power, and to answer your question I tend to turn mine off with after the Wii U powers down. I was unable to disable the sleep and spin down functions on mine, currently using a 3.5 250gb drive, if I remember it was a western digital, don't remember as I have had it set up to my Wii U for about 6 months now.

Last edited by Albireo6972, May 2, 2017
  4. biggan1

biggan1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2016
    I can personally recommend that when you buy a new HD. Make sure its an acpowered, that automatically shuts down if not connected via usb. I got a 2tb seagate acpowered and I dont Have to worry at all about it. Great really!

It just shuts itself of when powering down the Wii u. I firmly believe that shutting it of when not in use expands its lifetime ALOT

Hardrives dont live forever....Certainly not a WD. :(

jmhannz likes this.
  5. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    I wish mine powered by itself. I have a spare old 1TB from 2013 in an external I got off Amazon for 20$

biggan1 likes this.
  6. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I always shut it down if I know I'm not using it again soon. I don't use it for WII U specific stuff, though, just 360, PS3, and Wii/Gamecube (sometimes on a Wii U). No reason to leave it on if you're not going to be using it. Turing it off/on wearing it out it an old myth based on how light bulbs usually blow out when turning them on. A HDD's spinning constantly is gonna create as much, if not more, wear as turning it off when not using it then back on.

biggan1 likes this.
  7. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    my WD 1 tb is now 7 years old and still working like a charm so... toshiba on the other hand... i already broke 3 drives of those.

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Repeated start/stops wear them out (so don't leave spotpass on the 1-hour default and try to not crash your console),

running all the time wears them out (so don't leave them running 24/7),

and most importantly: the very fact of existing outside of a perfect vacuum, never mind being operated, wears them out (so make backups proportionally to how you value your saves)

9. biggan1

biggan1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2016
    Cool, yeah I can really recommend it if you buy One in the future. It came as a surprise for me! Since all acpowered hds ive had has an on/off button, which I always dispised.

Ryccardo is right. Harddrives has lifetime although the overall performance has increased alot the last couple och years. And yes those rings cant spin Forever. From experience hds break elen faster like all tech if its constantly on. Tech wears out just like everything else.

You Have to find a middle ground in order for Max its lifetime. Not in all the time, but not constantly restarting it, although its My preferred option by far. sorry for poor grammar... I dont like typing on tablets..

Last edited by biggan1, May 2, 2017
  10. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    well now to think about it, this hard drive is from a computer from 2013, that was on 24/7 for at least 2 years, I wonder how worn down it is. hmmmmmmmmm, its quiet, purs like a kitty (:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-128gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-black/9044257.p?skuId=9044257, I was thinking this for games as well. However I read somewhere online flash drives die quick on the Wii U?... I could easily transfer my stuff over. Get off the HD idea. Not huge on it.

11. biggan1

biggan1 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2016
    Cool, im gonna get an y cable plus 2,5 harddrive adapter for 20$ and put My old 750gb laptop HD in.

When I got the goods i Will transfer My Wii u games for the smaller driver. Then I Will finally installation vWII, and roll it with all librarys from med totalt gamecube and the first wii.

What do you think about My planned setup? (Havent installed vWii yet.)

Flahdrives are great hur they är pulling too much PowerPoint from the Wii, IF you use andra y cable with flahdrive it works much better.

12. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    I leave it powered, it will spin down and park once the wiiu switches off. This is not the same as sleep.

biggan1 likes this.