ROM Hack Attempting to make my own cheats

AchakClaw

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been following this video () to use the search function to seek values that change between two submarines.
I'm trying to search between the amount of torpedoes they have.

Submarine 1:
Sub-1.png
Sub-1-stats.png

Submarine 2:
Sub-2.png
Sub-2-stats.png

I'm currently working on searching for the differences of torpedo values.

I've been using the search function multiple times for about 20 minutes, but I can't narrow the search results to lower than 86,000.
Are there better videos or better methods in doing this? Once I find out to change torpedo values, I plan to change everything else to it can be as high as I want.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stats for prebaked things in games can be tricky, can be calculated or can be hardcoded in an odd way. It might also only manifest in the game itself, not in the weapon/mount/character selection screen.
Sometimes it is a normal value though that can be found via convention change it and compare approaches.

It might then be easier to find the max torpedo value in the game itself. This can be easier said than done -- sometimes it right next to the current torpedo value, other times it can be by itself, and it can be one of those calculated things. Things to look out for are things like bonus pickups that allow you to carry more, or options that allow you to carry more (more torpedos, less dive time or something) or say damage that might make you carry less/not be able to fire certain tubes as this can speak to the max value.

Generally in games there are two approaches to stats tables like this

1) Next to each other, repeated for all values.
2) Separate tables, usually near each other but not always.

There are programming perks and downsides to both approaches so devs can and do pick either of those, or do something else entirely.
Anyway the reason I note that is that it can be easier to find something else and then move sideways; in your average RPG if luck goes up basically never where attack changes every 5 minutes then I generally find attack and look nearby to see if there are the other values.

Reactions: Nutez

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.