Hacking Atmosphere-NX - Custom Firmware in development by SciresM

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have a 4.1.0 switch, so I can play any game right now and will have access to future physical copies for a bit after an update comes out. Blocking updates from there, and I have no plans to buy a second switch. My game library is large enough to hold out on 4.1.0, and I don't care about most games currently announced, and even then I can wait a bit for anything I do care about rather than buy a new switch.

I´m in the exact same spot. Plus, there aren´t even new games (besides idies) anounced for the next 6 months or so.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not a professional programmer. This is all a hobby.
Honestly, I'm not sure what you would describe a professional programmer as if the description does not fit someone who can code/program an entire customized operating system for a device that, not a year ago, was completely unknown for the most part.

If you're taking "professional" to mean someone who is paid for their services, then I suppose in this context, you're right. But half of us probably don't know the difference between == and =, no offense to anyone reading this if you don't.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I´m in the exact same spot. Plus, there aren´t even new games (besides idies) anounced for the next 6 months or so.

Well, there is Kirby Star Allies coming out next month, but considering Kirby's games are always short, this is definitely not worth paying full price for.

Then there is only Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze coming after that and it's a game I played on Wii U already.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well, there is Kirby Star Allies coming out next month, but considering Kirby's games are always short, this is definitely not worth paying full price for.

Then there is only Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze coming after that and it's a game I played on Wii U already.
Kirby is on my list. Hopefully it doesn't enforce a new update. (highly doubtful but still)

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kirby is on my list. Hopefully it doesn't enforce a new update. (highly doubtful but still)

...this didn't occur to me.

Luckily my friend has a switch and doesn't care about homebrew or hacks (he just sort of stares at me when I talk about that stuff), and he wants Star Allies.

Y0sh1

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
88 bits is totally sufficient randomness for a CTR, it's more a "wtf are you doing with this garbage design" than anything. My complaint is about how it makes the format gross (I want Nintendo to have clean, well-thought-out formats) more than anything.

From looking at the commits it looks like you're doing this almost alone. Have you asked other members of the scene to join you? Or do you want it to be your baby?

Y0sh1

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
TuxSH (who also works on Luma) seems to be helping a bit. It is open source so anyone who wants to help can
I know, but building a CFW implies taking a lot of decisions and coordinating a group of devs is it's own can of worms. That is why I wonder if anyone else approached him directly and was turned down

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I hope it isn't that short. I wanna purchase it day one, but I'm definitely not going to spend 60 bucks on a 3 hour game, I don't care how innovative it is.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, but building a CFW implies taking a lot of decisions and coordinating a group of devs is it's own can of worms. That is why I wonder if anyone else approached him directly and was turned down

GitHub handles that for him. Anyone can make changes, Scies has the final say so via merge requests and pulls. If they make a change he doesn't like, or doesn't understand, he can reach out to them before pulling it into the main branch.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It would have a chance of being years if no known exploit was announced for 4.0+, but since there is a known one for it, you won't be waiting years...
i mean future firmware over 4.10 i'd rather not be able to play some new games for some months then not getting cfw for years.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
would we be able to run games off a usb drive or usb hard rive with this you can get hardrives much cheaper then sd cards you won't be able to use it in portable mode unless you want to strap it to the back of your switch but it would be useful.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SciresM would you mind leaving a quick word on these:

:)

>Mii data stuff
Miis are only corrupted by pwning SDB. None of the exploits I use to pwn TrustZone need to pwn SDB. So shouldn't affect mii data, but no promises.

>Allow us to use USB drives for homebrew.
In theory, if someone wants to put in the work to implement USB drive support, this could eventually be possible. I have no plans at the moment to try to do so, though, since there are more important features for me to work on, and because the Switch is a portable console which makes USB drives inconvenient except when perma-docked.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess he wants to avoid giving Nintendo info about that exploit, so he is waiting for them patch it on their own before releasing? Perhaps? who knows.

Exactly, it's annoying you can't have all the candy now. But it means you'll get more next year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Frfr, autism gang rise up. +2