Atmosphere games

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Niplex, May 17, 2019.

1. Niplex
    OP

Niplex Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2019
    Poland
    Hello!
    If I launch atmosphere on my switch, after restart can I play LEGAL games online? And if I install any games using goldtree and goldleaf, can i still play games online?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    No you will get ban hammer.

3. Niplex
    OP

Niplex Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2019
    Poland
    What if I backup NAND

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Only if you backup your NAND and restore it from before setting up CFW you can use to go back online, if not you will get ban.

5. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    To add to what Hayato said, don't restore the same NAND backup twice. Restore it once, play whatever you wanted to play and then backup again.

Having the same error and activity log twice might be suspicious

6. Niplex
    OP

Niplex Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2019
    Poland
    Restoring NAND = reinstalling cfw games to play it? And it is safe to backup and restore?

Last edited by Niplex, May 17, 2019
  7. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Restoring NAND backup meaning you will lose out everything you did on CFW, it will be a vanilla clean nand, just like before you actually ran CFW. Then again it only work if you backup your NAND before setting up any CFW.

8. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Just to add clarification, there is no safe way of playing pirated games on Switch online. Period. Chances are you will get banned very shortly.

I used to use Atmosphere while online, and even when using my "supposedly clean" NAND I've booted into Atmosphere a few times just to use Checkpoint (always offline when I've done this though). I know that technically there's a chance of this causing a ban, but luckily so far I haven't been. But don't ever try to play games installed from Goldleaf, Tinfoil, or any other NSP installer. That's just asking for a ban.

Kubez likes this.
  9. chaoskagami

chaoskagami Former CFW Dev

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Corrected that for you.

10. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    I disagree with that correction

RHOPKINS13, Kubez and tomi1578 like this.
  11. tomi1578

tomi1578 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2018
    Israel
    legal games are safe

12. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    As someone who got banned for doing absolutely nothing aside from using HBL and wiping error reports, I disagree with you disagreeing about my correction. :toot:

There is no safe way to use CFW online. Period. The second you generate any error on CFW, you're fucked.

Last edited by chaoskagami, May 17, 2019
  13. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    As someone who has been playing their legal games online with atmosphere for over a year without being banned, I disagree with you disagreeing about me disagreeing about your correction

RHOPKINS13, Kubez and chaoskagami like this.
  14. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    As someone who has had their switch since launch and ran CFW before the first official Atmosphere or ReiNX release was available and played online for that whole time period, I disagree with you disagreeing about me disagreeing with you disagreeing with my correction.

Whew.

15. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    You were using homebrew since the 3.0 smhax days? That’s probably why you got banned, that had no protection to help prevent bans :P

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, May 17, 2019
    Kubez likes this.
  16. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    No, I started from the early Atmosphere days. I was using Atmosphere after it became available on Github. Once ReiNX was available, I used that until the official Atmosphere release. The olden days weren't particularly interesting, so I was tracking code until it was more useful.

I chock it up to having to disable blocking Nintendo domains to update my console. A tampered-with error report could have been uploaded then, since people used to wipe error reports (and eupld wasn't disabled, nor was fatal replaced.) That, or perhaps the fact that ReiNX was overzealous in it's overriding of the system version string did me in. Perhaps it uploaded "6.2.0 ReiNX" to Nintendo somehow. In the end, all it takes is one abnormal piece of information being uploaded to Nintendo.

It's certainly safer than it used to be, but Nintendo could probably implement CFW detection in applications and everything would go out the window. Some PS3 games did that, after all. I just don't want anyone to think it's 100% safe, because it really isn't.

PHiLiPZ likes this.
  17. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    So now that Atmosphere has protection can you use HBL and still go online? or need to keep it clean for online?

18. chaoskagami

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    It's still not 100% safe. I strongly recommend you don't.

19. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    Yeah i know, but will hard not to when Mario maker 2 gets realesed. Hoping for emuNAND for Atmos, would be the best option.

Last edited by Ninn, May 17, 2019
  20. ZachyCatGames

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Atmosphere was first usable with hekate in May 2018 shortly after Fusee Gelee first released, I have also been using it since that time and haven’t been banned

Yea, older ReiNX versions changed the system version string in a way that did result in it getting sent to Ninty. Could’ve been error reports as well.

Last edited by ZachyCatGames, May 17, 2019
    chaoskagami likes this.