Asus reveals the ROG Ally X, with better battery life and more "repair-friendly" design

aaaaa.png

Drumming up hype by teasing a new product, with its formal reveal to come next month is Asus, who just announced the latest revision to their ROG Ally handheld. Titled the ROG Ally X, it'll be a refresh to the original model, sporting improvement in various ways, such as better battery life, a new black color scheme, being more "repair friendly", swappable analog sticks, and support for larger M.2 drives. The Ally X will still feature the same screen and hardware internals as the original did, with an AMD Z1/Extreme CPU powering the device and its 1080p 7-inch LCD screen.

Asus teased more details to arrive on June 2nd, where we'll get to learn more about how Asus has improved the RAM, ports, and the "significant" upgrade to the upcoming device's battery.

:arrow: Source

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are other reasons to avoid Asus products..

Yes, and this is SPECIFICALLY about the Asus Rog Ally. Really disappointing to have so many posts here without anyone mentioning what utter scumbags Asus have become in recent years. You'd have to be insane to buy ANYTHING from Asus now.

Reactions: Tsukiru and Xzi

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, and this is SPECIFICALLY about the Asus Rog Ally. Really disappointing to have so many posts here without anyone mentioning what utter scumbags Asus have become in recent years. You'd have to be insane to buy ANYTHING from Asus now.
i remember RMAing my strix 980 ti back in very late 2017/early 2018, only for it to die again like 5 months later during the mining/scalping epidemic... the card i got back didn't even have properly tightened screws and the gromits in the shroud were all warped and loose preventing me from taking the card apart myself

Reactions: Xzi

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well i have an rog Ally and is good for me, the battery is a shit but a power bank is okay. I didnt have Any trouble, just the SD card

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bought several Asus products over the years, and I haven't had any of them except a measly bluetooth dongle die on me, but that's not to take away from their recent issues of having crap RMAs and making shoddy products.

Steam on the other hand has pretty good RMA support, AND they partnered up with iFixit to buy literally everything you need to repair your own. This is the other major reason why the Steam Deck is still the GOAT. it's a relatively open platform, both software and hardware

Reactions: Xzi

SkyPioneer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are other reasons to avoid Asus products..

Incredibly shocking. It's incredibly worrying that they tried to charge $200 USD for... a small dent on the case? All while ignoring the service issues that are under warranty.
It was only when they pushed back, that they offered to ignore the very minor case damage and actually fix the analogue stick and SD card. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
What's the summary for those without a spare half hour?

tl;dw

GN tried to get a joystick repaired under warranty and Asus initially tried to pressure them into paying ~$200 to replace the screen due to an unrelated extremely minor damage to the plastic, with GN having to push back to get them to just do the in warranty repair.

They also reported on other people saying they had similar issues with ASUS RMA.

edit:
Forgot to explicitly mention the below.

Last edited by tech3475,

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tl;dw

GN tried to get a joystick repaired under warranty and Asus initially tried to pressure them into paying ~$200 to replace the screen due to an unrelated extremely minor damage to the plastic, with GN having to push back to get them to just do the in warranty repair.

They also reported on other people saying they had similar issues with ASUS RMA.
You forgot to mention the email sent to GN mentioned the device will be sent back un-repaired and may be disassembled if GN don't pay.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
You forgot to mention the email sent to GN mentioned the device will be sent back un-repaired and may be disassembled if GN don't pay.

I should have been more explicit as I meant for that to come under 'pressure GN'.

TBH I would just watch the video, or at least just specific chapters, as there are other things e.g. IIRC Asus making it sound like there was allegations of liquid damage at one point due to the documentation they provided GN.

Reactions: xdarkx

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be blunt, my pb287q monitor from them, needed warranty service and they did right by me, sending me an entirely new replacement, replete with a fresh set of cables, since the original displayport cable the first one came with was likely going to be an issue again.

Most recently ended up buying an Asus gaming notebook, since for the same money, most everything else wanted to stick me with intel or at best, an rtx 4060 mobile chip. The model I got was with a ryzen 7 with a 680m integrated chip, and an rx 7700S for dedicated graphics. Nothing else was touching it for gaming performance for the dollar. It's also my first endeavor with a high refresh display. The colors badly needed adjusting out of the box. And compared to other models in the same price tier, the serviceability teardown sold it even more. Granted, that video now makes me wary of ever needing warranty service on this notebook.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I prefer they make a smaller/slimmer Steam Deck than a stronger one. A stronger one seems too early and it wouldn't start around $400 anyway.

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Not interested. ASUS burnt its bridges with me and many other customers with their anti-consumer warranty practices. I cannot trust a company that not only refuses to take responsibility for bad product design and manufacturing, but also actively goes out of their way to accuse their customers and to charge them for their own products' engineering flaws. I am never again buying ASUS until a public apology that is supplemented by a real plan to help customers that have suffered over the years from their unethical practices.
Post automatically merged:

To be blunt, my pb287q monitor from them, needed warranty service and they did right by me, sending me an entirely new replacement, replete with a fresh set of cables, since the original displayport cable the first one came with was likely going to be an issue again.

Most recently ended up buying an Asus gaming notebook, since for the same money, most everything else wanted to stick me with intel or at best, an rtx 4060 mobile chip. The model I got was with a ryzen 7 with a 680m integrated chip, and an rx 7700S for dedicated graphics. Nothing else was touching it for gaming performance for the dollar. It's also my first endeavor with a high refresh display. The colors badly needed adjusting out of the box. And compared to other models in the same price tier, the serviceability teardown sold it even more. Granted, that video now makes me wary of ever needing warranty service on this notebook.
ASUS Vivobook Go 14 Flip. Glass screen cracked on its own due to materials contracting and expanding at different rates when variations in temperature occur (e.g., moving from outdoors cold to a warmer interior). This is a known problem with a number of other customers reporting the same problem - as the metallic bezel is apparently too tight surrounding the glass. Had it for a month. Sent it in for warranty repairs. They accused customer induced damage (CID) without evidence that the crack could have happened by blunt shock or other form of misuse (crack begins from an undamaged side of the bezel - it would be visible if user fault). They quoted me more than the product's full price for repairs - and also identified a slew of other issues that did not exist (motherboard and IPS panel requiring replacement, despite the laptop being fully functional and no damage to the underlying IPS screen. They justified on the basis that the glass and IPS screen are 'fused' together.

I kept the laptop broken. They lost a customer for life.

Edit: In case anyone does not trust what I say, see these REddit posts of near-identical issues of spontaneous screen cracks:

Last edited by grcd,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU