Hacking Assembly language and DMA

GameFreak_020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WoodR4 for M3 is one of the best inventions for the M3-franchise flashcarts. Gaboros should get all the good credits for it! However the program has some problems reading fragmented .nds and. sav files. Knowledge of DMA and Assembly programming language is needed to solve this problem. I want to bring this under attention to help Gaboros, but also to let people know why the program has that problem cuz I was smart enough to ask is while it was explained already.

Please refrain from giving comments like: "stop whining" or "just deal with it". At least I tried looking for help and if there isn't anyone who can, then i'm just ok with it.

gaboros said:
jesquinas said:
gaboros,why isnt possible load fragmented .nds or .sav games with wood R4 for M3?I suppose if flashcarts dont have this problem it could be possible to get in success with your wood.

Thx.

I get some informations about that issues from YWG. I found the source of this "bug" but I couldn't fix it currently. I say "bug" because it isn't a bug it is because the DMA design. Yes the flashcard don't have problem with it but that subset is not public.
Let me quote the worlds of YWG:

YWGthis is not a problem or bug. this is by design.
each flashcard has a protocol — the set of commands that allow control cart. there is 'dldi' subset that usually include cart init, sector read and sector write commands. and usually due dldi drivers are opensourced we have enough information about such commands.
but for games launching we need additional functionality — address translation. the game give us virtual address inside rom/save we need translate it to physical address on microsd. there are at least two approaches to do this:
1. cluster map tables that stored in additional memory in flashcart
2. on-the-fly fat processing by flashcart asic.
anyway there is a 'game' subset of control commands in any flashcart. and this subset is not public.
but there is simple idea that in case the rom and save files not defragmented the address translation is easy: we only need add the 1st sector address to virtual address. this idea implemented in woodm3.

So we have to redesign the DMA section. But unfortunately this section is written in assembly language and I do not know a lot about this language and I can not redesign it. This parts controls the chip/processor.

So if anyone know a lot of about the assembly language and he is able to help me/us redesign this section to load fragmented nds/saves as well just send me a P.M. please!
smile.gif

Edit: currently I trying to make the loader to "defragment" the nds/save file if it is fragmented. But that is much more harder then I first thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.