Hacking Arm11 Crashes with B9

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
With all due respect, you're fucking with us right?

This forum is littered with posts from luma users reporting crashes, every day there are multiple reports about this.

Right now, there are four (!) on the first page alone, one on the second, three on the third, two on page four...

Hell, hackinformer just posted an article about it.

I think I've made my point.

I respect you as a knowledgeable member of this community, and appreciate the contributions you've made. But you've either seriously out of the loop, or you're proper trying to troll us, in which case (respectfully) fuck you.
I don't follow GBATemp frequently, but if they're having issues, rather than complaining about it here where neither Aurora nor Tux check anymore, they should report it on GitHub. However, almost every single error can be reduced to user error - outdated 3dsx files, not using region emulation, etc. Yes, people are having issues, but I haven't seen frequent legitimate issues.

I don't intend to be rude to you, as I have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge - you're someone I've always looked up to in this community. However, most of the issues here are either issues with external programs or user error. I'm not claiming luma or rosalina is flawless, as it clearly isn't - the 8.0 release especially was extremely buggy.

One final point - the legacy build is the nearly the same thing as 7.1 but updated for b9s 1.2. If there's an issue the legacy build does not fix, it's not an issue that was introduced in luma 8.* or rosalina, which is what everyone seems to be blaming for the crash.

Ok, latest update. Sorry for the delay. We're swamped at work.

I wanted to clean up some things on my SD card and ensure that wasn't my problem, so I wiped it fully and tested it. It checked out, so I feel comfortable eliminating that as the culprit. I finally got around to restoring my 1.1 backup. It took, but same issues. So I restored my A9LH backup and manually updated it to B9S 1.2, Luma3DS 8.1. (I'm still amazed at how much faster the guide has come along. I swear my first o3DS took 6+ hours. I got this done in under 20 minutes!) I can't say its fixed. I can say that it is better. TWLoader.cia loads fine now. HBL.cia works now. Mario Sports Superstars works now. CSPSP.cia still automatically crashes. Retroarch still randomly crashes. SNES9x by bubble2k crashes immediately now, where it did not before. All 3dsx seems to be fixed.

I cannot get a game to crash, but I haven't really tried very hard. I've been more concerned with homebrew, as I use that more than I do play games. So far though, it seems that what another user explained to me seems true: homebrew really needs to be updated to handle errors better. Or error checking needs to be turned down in Luma.
Don't worry about a delay, I just got my development environment set back up again, so I'm not much better than you in terms of efficiency :P

If possible, can you upload the crash dumps for CSPSP.cia and SNES9x? It's odd, however, that the homebrew from before which didn't work suddenly works now (I can't remember, did SNES9x have a 3dsx? Does that work?)

I've also decided at this point to explain the situation to Aurora and Tux and see if either of them have any ideas, but unfortunately both of them seem to be at a loss as well. I'm hoping these new crash dumps can shed some light on the issue - the ones from before had few similarities in what actually caused the crash.

Reactions: Lacius

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
With all due respect, you're fucking with us right?

This forum is littered with posts from luma users reporting crashes, every day there are multiple reports about this.

Right now, there are four (!) on the first page alone, one on the second, three on the third, two on page four...

Hell, hackinformer just posted an article about it.

I think I've made my point.

I respect you as a knowledgeable member of this community, and appreciate the contributions you've made. But you've either seriously out of the loop, or you're proper trying to troll us, in which case (respectfully) fuck you.
Thx for the honest and passionnate post you made here, at least someone finally point it out clearly.

Oh and btw I don't blame Luma 8.x either, if/when all issues will be fixed it's clear everyone will use it but for now and homebrew problem aside, legacy is (for pure 3DS gaming) a better choice for everyone that just want what Luma claim to be, a "noob-friendly" CFW (once again, for now).

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Thx for the honest and passionnate post you made here, at least someone finally point it out clearly.

Oh and btw I don't blame Luma 8.x either, if/when all issues will be fixed it's clear everyone will use it but for now and homebrew problem aside, legacy is (for pure 3DS gaming) a better choice for everyone that just want what Luma claim to be, a "noob-friendly" CFW (once again, for now).
Except for most of the issues now, legacy does not solve anything.

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't know any game not working with Legacy but I didn't own nor tested them all so you may be right.

if you talk about Homebrews problems then yes it's perfectly true but for someone who don't use (or the very basic ones) homebrews and only play 3DS games then Legacy can still be a good shot if the game do not work with current stable and if any "trick" with stable do not fix it.

Last edited by toto621,
D

Deleted-351540

I don't know any game not working with Legacy but I didn't own nor tested them all so you may be right.

if you talk about Homebrews problems then yes it's perfectly true but for someone who don't use (or the very basic ones) homebrews and only play 3DS games then Legacy can still be a good shot if the game do not work with current stable and if any "trick" with stable do not fix it.
Indeed I did have actual game problems, even with the Luma3DS legacy build. However, I had them in such a way that a dump wasn't created so I could not get a crash report on them. I did provide picture evidence of what happened to (mainly) Mario Sports Superstars and Ridge Racer 3D.

Also, I'm back up and running B9S 1.2/Luma3DS 8.1. If you would like video proof of what I see sometimes when loading a game (actual cart or an eShop download), I can provide this. But basically I see the 3DS game loading screen (the one that got DMCA'd in freeShop) and then the top screen goes black and the bottom screen goes white. I must hold the power button until it shuts off at that point.

All on B9S/Luma8/legacy. As soon as I restored my A9LH/Luma 7 backup, things worked as they should.

@astronautlevel
Dumps are coming, just give me a few. I just got home from work. I do not know if SNES9x by bubble2k has a 3DSX version, but I'll look and give that a try and report back.

Reactions: astronautlevel

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@bobdamnit: Interesting, so B9S+Luma give you game's problem while your A9HL+Luma backup didn't right ? i'm glad i kept a full A9HL backup too then. If I encounter games that are not working even with Legacy I will try the A9HL backup method, A9HL is still perfectly usable even now so it's a win-win situation.

bakageta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I'm back up and running B9S 1.2/Luma3DS 8.1. If you would like video proof of what I see sometimes when loading a game (actual cart or an eShop download), I can provide this. But basically I see the 3DS game loading screen (the one that got DMCA'd in freeShop) and then the top screen goes black and the bottom screen goes white. I must hold the power button until it shuts off at that point.

All on B9S/Luma8/legacy. As soon as I restored my A9LH/Luma 7 backup, things worked as they should.

I've had this happen a few times too, though I doubt I have anything helpful at add atm. I'm still on b9s 1.0 and Luma 7.1, I don't update frequently and 8.0 was going through pretty rapid improvements. Zero lockups like that in the year or so of a9lh, and I think 3-4 since moving to b9s. I think its been a different title each time, and they usually work just fine. I even had the 3DS Quick Shutdown homebrew CIA do similar once, dmca'd splash then hang with both screens black and a couple long presses on power needed. That was doubly frustrating since I could have just hit the power button in the first place.

I have no options checked in Luma's config, other than clock+l2 which didn't give me issues in the past. I did turn that off to test for a while, but it happened again so I assumed it wasn't the problem.

Last edited by bakageta,
Reactions: toto621

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh