Are we all being serious

rujoeking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
DroRox said:
I take to the OP.
People's ideas aren't considered here. People who have more experience are assholes to those who just started out and have fresh ideas. It's one thing to explain why an idea doesn't work and another to call someone a noob and make fun of them for trying to collaborate.
As you can see, Smealum has few posts and yet his Minecraft DS idea is vastly supported.

Vast differences between a working demo made by a well-known homebrew developer and an implausible suggestion made by a nobody. Smealum may not post here much, but he's made the best 3D homebrew for the DS. He's by no means a noob or new.

totalnoob617 said:
QUOTE(rujoeking @ Aug 5 2011, 02:51 PM)
I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.
i actually dont think this site or scene is that bad for that sort of thing , the 360 scene is the absolut worst, and the wihacks site is prety bad too
much much worse than here i think
the problem is that (not this scene really) that in alot of these scenes the people who know how to do this stuff , have absolutly ibismal communication skills, if people could just take a few minutes to proof read what they write and spend just a bit more time in explaining things properly and not in a way that leaves all sorts of improtant shit out and in a ways that are vague and can be interperted in 50 different ways,with spelling errors,and cause they are not being specific, then we could eliminate more the 50% of posts
all these scenes are full of obsolete tutorials with outdated and obsolete information ,that never gets updated, and are horribly written tutorials, and written by people who have no idea how to clearly explain things, there is this kid on you tube that does a great job in explaining stuff for the ps3 scene , chris tech tv ,hes great at explaining things if every scene had someone like that ,someone with great commnication skills like he has , we woud not have these problems

people should take a page from that kid, especially the ones who make yt videos with horrible shitty music, or complete silence and then call it a "tutorial", neither of which should be done in a tutorial video,and bad poor shaky camera work, poor out of focus camera work,where you cant see anything ,and on and on

people dont even speak in proper complete sentences, and they are so vague in the way they try to explain things, they leave things open to be interperted in 100 different ways, if people would just read wtf they write before they post advice or tutorials, and make sure that there is absolutly no possible way that someone could interpert what they write in more than 1 way ,then people would not be so bitchy about seeing people posting the same questions over and over, sure there are some people who ask obvious things over and over , but alot of the questions are due to the way alot of stuff on console scenes is "explained"
alot of things like most tutorials just go right in and start spewing technical jargon , where they should first,always give you an overview of the procedure in laymans terms , and explain the outcome and goal of what it is the tutorial is for,first,before they even get to the 1st step in laymens terms, everything should have atleast a little brief explanation that says what it is basically for, in lay terms atleast,and at most a quick overview of the procedure that explains what you will be doing in each step that is written in plain english with out using any technical terms, unless it is to define them , also a glosary of acronyms and terms should be included in every site , and maybe a short little one at the begining of every tutorial that explains any terms or acronyms you may come across that you or a noob might not know the definition of,that are used in the tutorial
there is no common sense in these scenes ,and absolutly no communication skills what so ever ,its like the 2 dont mix or something,
i swear 90% of what i read on these sites ,i dont thin the person that wrote even went back and read it even one time after they wrote it
then when you point out stuff that is obviously confusing they inore it or you ,or try and argue with you why they are right and you are jus an idiot for understanding the retarted vague tutorial ,instead of just editing it ,and taking your advice
Excuse me? Could you speak up a bit? I can't hear your point over the screams of the language you're raping.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DrOctapu said:
machomuu said:
DroRox said:
I take to the OP.
People's ideas aren't considered here. People who have more experience are assholes to those who just started out and have fresh ideas. It's one thing to explain why an idea doesn't work and another to call someone a noob and make fun of them for trying to collaborate.
As you can see, Smealum has few posts and yet his Minecraft DS idea is vastly supported.
Vast differences between a working demo made by a well-known homebrew developer and an implausible suggestion made by a nobody. Smealum may not post here much, but he's made the best 3D homebrew for the DS. He's by no means a noob or new.
Exactly, but the thing is he's made homebrew before, and he wasn't put down.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
Rydian said:
Old8oy said:
And you don't HAVE to answer every question you see and promote the behavior that draws all of the criticism and flaming...
You know if you get shot and left for dead on the side of the road, people don't HAVE to stop and try to help you.

But isn't the world a better place when people AREN'T dickholes?

That's a pretty poor analogy... I can honestly say that I'd be right there to help someone if they were in any sort of danger. I've been in life or death situations. I've made those decisions. People don't HAVE to stop and help you, and a lot of people likely won't...

I can also honestly say that nothing that has been discussed in this topic is a life or death situation. Sure, the world is a better place when people aren't dickholes, but it goes both ways. There are the dickholes who feel entitled and expect things to be done for them and there are the dickholes who flame them for it.

It all comes down to people and their "feelings". If you're someone who can let the opinions and words of strangers hurt your feelings, the internet is not for you. Nor is the workforce. Nor is middle school. Nor are family dinners.
My point was you might think differently when it's you needing the help.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Old8oy said:
Rydian said:
Old8oy said:
And you don't HAVE to answer every question you see and promote the behavior that draws all of the criticism and flaming...
You know if you get shot and left for dead on the side of the road, people don't HAVE to stop and try to help you.

But isn't the world a better place when people AREN'T dickholes?

That's a pretty poor analogy... I can honestly say that I'd be right there to help someone if they were in any sort of danger. I've been in life or death situations. I've made those decisions. People don't HAVE to stop and help you, and a lot of people likely won't...

I can also honestly say that nothing that has been discussed in this topic is a life or death situation. Sure, the world is a better place when people aren't dickholes, but it goes both ways. There are the dickholes who feel entitled and expect things to be done for them and there are the dickholes who flame them for it.

It all comes down to people and their "feelings". If you're someone who can let the opinions and words of strangers hurt your feelings, the internet is not for you. Nor is the workforce. Nor is middle school. Nor are family dinners.
My point was you might think differently when it's you needing the help.
I think the problem is that people ask for help on simple things that they would've found the solution to if they had done any research at all.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian

I understood your point from the beginning
wink.gif

I guess I just have low expectations to start with, probably from years of visiting forums on the internet. This type of forum just has so many more "non-pre-searched" topics than most other types since it involves instruction, testing, and some amount of technical know-how. The problem lies in the fact that far too many people forego any amount of learning with silly questions they could answer themselves if they spent 5 minutes looking around.

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
The problem lies in the fact that far too many people forego any amount of learning with silly questions they could answer themselves if they spent 5 minutes looking around.

This happens a lot when people learn about something new or something they haven't done before and go through many forums posting questions right away without reading the forums rules or search in a proper way. That's why we who had been more time in this community should direct them in the right way without flaming (posting a link is enough) . Another thing is that if every time a noob asks something stickied and we reply go search and similar things then when we use the search engine we will see like 50 threads with the same content and in the end we are the ones that f*ck the search engine effectiveness than the noobs.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lex luthor said:
Old8oy said:
The problem lies in the fact that far too many people forego any amount of learning with silly questions they could answer themselves if they spent 5 minutes looking around.

This happens a lot when people learn about something new or something they haven't done before and go through many forums posting questions right away without reading the forums rules or search in a proper way. That's why we who had been more time in this community should direct them in the right way without flaming (posting a link is enough) . Another thing is that if every time a noob asks something stickied and we reply go search and similar things then when we use the search engine we will see like 50 threads with the same content and in the end we are the ones that f*ck the search engine effectiveness than the noobs.

This is true. People should be directed to stickies rather being told to search.

Here is an example of how a first post "should" look... This person has either lurked for a bit picking up info or has come in with prior knowledge. Either way, they started by making it clear that they are using the tutorial and continue with a specific question and as much detail as possible. Kudos to new guy.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that arugment between Rydian and Old8oy, i'm going to have to agree with Rydian, however I don't think he really explained it properly.

Being a noob on here is somewhat like being an intern somewhere, and just because that person guiding you has helped countless people do the same things and has answered the same questions many times, that doesn't give him the right to completely freak out when the intern asks him a common question. I feel like the more knowledgeable of us are supposed to be like that guide and help the noobs learn and answer them properly, and if you simply can't deal with the same stuff over and over without being rude, then just don't reply. It's like the old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not much of an argument. I thought Rydian and I were having a grown-up discussion.

In a perfect world, I'd completely agree with what all of the friendly, supportive people here are trying to accomplish. But...here comes an analogy...would you walk into Calculus 321 (hacks and exploits) and start throwing out questions and theories without completing the pre-requisite courses of Calculus 101 (google search) and Calculus 211 (reading stickies)? I suppose if you were some self-taught prodigy, maybe you would... How many of the "noob" questions come from self-taught prodigies?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
In an education system you're put into the intro courses first, and you can't get into college without some proof of prior education (including placement tests). While on the internet... people like us may have grown up with the concept a search engine, but there are people that don't know what they are and how to use them.

And that's terrible.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
In an education system you're put into the intro courses first, and you can't get into college without some proof of prior education (including placement tests). While on the internet... people like us may have grown up with the concept a search engine, but there are people that don't know what they are and how to use them.

And that's terrible.
Oh how i missed you Rydian :3

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
what's so hard about pointing people in the right direction?
such as if you were in a city and a guy asked where the shops are would you go
"oh, just over there."
or
"look at a map, douche."

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
"oh, just over there."
or
"look at a map, douche."
sure i'd help him out, and put a sign down. but if every damn day people come asking for the same shop, despite seeing the sign right there, then thats a problem.

I use the analogy of a sign to represent a post. since posts dont disappear, and can be found when googled.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iggloovortex said:
FireGrey said:
"oh, just over there."
or
"look at a map, douche."
sure i'd help him out, and put a sign down. but if every damn day people come asking for the same shop, despite seeing the sign right there, then thats a problem.

I use the analogy of a sign to represent a post. since posts dont disappear, and can be found when googled.

Except it's more an entire directory than a sign (stickies I mean).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+