Are VPKs region locked?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by betterthanjordan, Sep 4, 2016.

1. betterthanjordan
    OP

betterthanjordan Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Hi all,

I see online that some VPKs have regions associated with them, does this matter or not? I thought the Vita was region free, can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    No.

3. riggs

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    Doesn't matter, they will run fine.

The only issue I can see is if you were to obtain trophies for a download-only game that isn't available in your country. This could be enough for Sony to ban your PSN/console. I'm not saying they will, but theoretically they could.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Vita is region free. The main reason why dumps have a region attached is because of differences in the contents (e.g. EU dumps usually have more European languages included). There's also something about how updates/DLCs are region locked, however the scene isn't quite far enough to give us definitive information on that yet.

5. Omer

Omer GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2014
    No , vita is a region free console but I think some game updates and dlc are region locked

Last edited by Omer, Sep 4, 2016
  6. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    The software is region locked to whatever psn store (i.e. Japanese,Chinese,american etc) But the console is region free like the ps3 and maybe the ps4? i dont own one so idk

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx likes this.
  7. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    @HarEllis6202 I FUCKIN LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE IMAGE!
    Legend of Dragoon <3

8. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    My understanding is that the PS4 is region-free for physical games, but the online store, DLC, and multiplayer capabilities are locked.

9. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    And I love you we should hang out and play together :) I only made it to the fight with Lloyd on disc 3 and my copy was too scratched to continue. You have invigorated my passion i have go play again lol

Thats very interesting...I wonder if the ps vita has the base limitation of online play out of region. But regardless the ps3 left me optimistic that anything is possible

Last edited by HarEllis6202, Sep 4, 2016
    xXDungeon_CrawlerXx likes this.
  10. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    Sounds great :D