Question Are there any text editor homebrews besides vgedit?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by EpochWon, Jun 26, 2019.

1. EpochWon
    OP

EpochWon Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    Canada
    Currently the only text editor I can find is vgedit, and that is useless for editing configs as the lines are offset by the slightest amount, so when you scroll down it slowly offsets the selection then you can never actually see which line you are on. So are there any other text editors available? Or is there someone willing to fix vgedit?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Have you tried what is available for the various Linux builds? I don't know which ones are available for it but if you can't make a run of it from the usual suspects in the Linux world then that is not great.

I grabbed a random package list for ARM ubuntu and nano, vim, emacs, gedit, ed, and gprompter all feature. I don't know how many made the leap but more than one should have.

3. Sumandora

Sumandora Im using Parental Controls. Change my Mind!

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    sadly no.
    op asked for homebrew

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I got that. I would that agree running a linux distro just for a text editor is a bit excessive but if it is presently the only way to have something viable, or a way to have something even better, there is plenty of precedent. I don't know how far https://gbatemp.net/threads/l4t-ubuntu-a-fully-featured-linux-on-your-switch.537301/ can be minimised if it turns out just a copy of say nano is needed but even if it is used as is then relative to SD card sizes these days it is not the worst.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    As a Raspberry Pi user, I can say that I absolutely despise using nano. I mean, Ctrl+O to save? THE HELL IS WITH THAT? Was Ctrl+S too difficult to understand?

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I mainly got used to it as many years ago when I came back to Linux I had a choice between nano and old school vi/vim, and as said return to Linux was to build email servers I did not need the additional hassle of learning Vim.
    Had a quick search for the reasoning for using such a command scheme. As it was built as a replacement for an even older editor I imagine said older editor followed a different standard (probably some old unix mainframe thing) than the one Microsoft if not developed then pushed and saw go wide.

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Still, they could change it now and people would adapt. Or heaven forbid, an editor comes out that's modern-looking in a terminal window with tabs and a white background like you'd expect in a text editor.

8. Tugay

Tugay Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    Turkey
    Bump to thread. I need a text editor homebrew too. I tried vgedit but the Enter button does not work (I can't add lines) is there another text editor homebrew? Or anyone know how to add lines in vgedit?

9. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    Trust me, Nano is still better than vim (in terms of being user friendly).

But yeah I agree, Linux is good at many things, but hotkey consistency is much better on Windows.

Jayro likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted