ROM Hack Are there any current means of translating Asian-only Switch games - Layton's Mystery Journey?

Rockmaniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, been trying to google this for a while finding nothing on it the regular way....

So I thought I'd ask here... - do we have the means to gain access to translate NSP / XCI's that are not available in English - but only say... Japanese? at least now.

I was specifically thinking of Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle to Daifugou no Inbou DX, which is only out in Japan on Switch - and will most likely due to poor sales in Japan not be localized to EU / US - and thus to English -

As we have that very game on 3DS the translation progress should be very fast - if we have the howto-knowledge?

Is there a known way of hacking switch games yet for Rom Translation?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It depends on game. Just give titleid and I will check if it's possible with tools that I have after I got some sleep.

F.e. Dies Irae is possible to copy english steam version to Switch version, but strings are written differently on both platforms, so without writing tools it will be only possible by copy-paste every line and it needs someone who knows Japanese to be sure that they're pasting correct text.

And you are saying that someone is translating this game for 3DS? Then it may be just copy-paste file if textures are not involved OR like above - copy-paste every line.

Last edited by masagrator,

Rockmaniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
what i am trying to say - is a return to my original question. and no I am not saying anyone is translating it for 3DS but that it already is out in english for 3DS. So the question is whether we are talking textures like on the retro roms - or actual copy / paste lines of text with the switch.

but we do have ACTUAL english text in the 3DS game - apart from possibly the japanese extra game "Life in japan" that is supposedly included in the japanese version of the Switch game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what programs do you have to try this with? maybe I as a novice - could look into this too?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Textures = fonts and sfx texts. If font will be as texture that doesn't support halfwidth and fullwidth letters, then copying text do nothing.
My list of programs is too big. If it's nothing that will work with them, i will just put here info about files that may contain texts.

dernettemann1983

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can use the txt files from the iOS version. I think android version works, too.

105DE06A-5511-45C5-ABCD-2C4794C63E7D.jpeg ADE8F999-1C3C-4D8B-8C3D-9DE4081C7DAA.jpeg 636158F2-005A-4DDF-A68B-2B24919F9F2A.jpeg 4122FB31-F172-4CFC-840A-3D37763D20F9.jpeg

Don‘t ask me for the files.

Last edited by dernettemann1983,
Reactions: Rockmaniac

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So files with texts are *.xs XSCR, *.xi are textures, *.xa are additional archives
Most of *.xs files are in folder called "txt", but there are some in other folders and probably wifi_dbg it's the only one you can skip.
There are 1800 *.xs files without wifi_dbg.

They can be opened with Kuriimu.
https://github.com/IcySon55/Kuriimu/releases/tag/v1.0.14

For 3DS english version:
Game has archives *.fa that can be opened with Karameru (part of Kuriimu toolset)
Inside there are also *.xs, *.xi and *.xa

*.xs are saved in different order with different quantity in each folder inside "txt", so replacing files is out of question. You need to use Kuriimu and replace them one line by one.
*.xi files are different - 3DS uses IMGC00, when Switch IMGN00 and second can't be opened with tools I have (first one can be opened with Kukkii). After changing IMGN00 to IMGC00 textures are broken.
*.xa archives can be opened for both version, but they contain *.xi, *.pbi, *.pbw and *.bin files. So if it contains *.xi files, replacing them is out of question, because rest of them depends on *.xi files.

Fonts are saved as *.xf archives containing *.xi and *.bin files. I found that 3DS version contains Kanji, Kana, letters, numbers and special signs inside all of fonts. So maybe Switch version can be translated without swapping fonts.

Edit: If Switch version is a port of Android version, then maybe will work like user above showed. But probably forget about textures.

Edit2: OK, i checked and is working with android version. You need to download .apk (obb is not needed), rename *.apk to *.zip, unpack it, copy folder "txt" from "assets" to
/titles/0100FDB00AA80000/romfs/

Inside folder "txt" is folder "en"
Change it to "jp"
it should look like this now
/titles/0100FDB00AA80000/romfs/txt/jp/* (* - other folders)
Delete other folders inside "txt" for sake of space.
Don't copy *.xs files from other folders than txt - they are written for engine and doesn't contain english language.

Remember: because of textures (Android version uses totally different textures than 3DS and Switch) only what is written in *.xs files will be showed in English. And because font is not suited for Western release, some signs will have different margins and text will be out of boundary.
This method works too for Dutch (du), German (de), French (fr), Italian (it), Spanish (sp), but remember that font can have issues with special cases.

Rockmaniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i downloaded kuriimu and am trying to make sense of how to access my game file - how do I get inside the XCI /NSP using Kuriimu? the text stealing part from the apk set seems pretty straightforward. but i can't fig out how to get inside my NSP? - do i try renaming it to zip + unpacking the same way? @masagrator @dernettemann1983

Last edited by Rockmaniac,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Rockmaniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well as I want to change the text contents I do have to unpack? don't i? or can i somehow access the text change without unpacking the nsp?

my current game is legally bought off the jap e-shop - if that makes any difference?

Rockmaniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
not really? still have no idea how to add the info from the android apk or 3ds rom - to the contents of the switch nsp?

I need to unpack / repack it somehow to add/change the textfiles on the switch? or am I just missing something obvious here?

----

Edit2
: OK, i checked and is working with android version. You need to download .apk (obb is not needed), rename *.apk to *.zip, unpack it, copy folder "txt" from "assets" to

Inside folder "txt" is folder "en"
Change it to "jp"
it should look like this now
/titles/0100FDB00AA80000/romfs/txt/jp/* (* - other folders)
Delete other folders inside "txt" for sake of space.
Don't copy *.xs files from other folders than txt - they are written for engine and doesn't contain english language.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

for example - how do I access this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...