Are the new R4DS's spring-loaded?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Korey, Feb 10, 2008.

Feb 10, 2008
  1. Korey
    OP

Newcomer Korey Newbie

United States
    Hello,

I'm just getting into the flash scene after hearing that 90% of DS owners have a R4DS.

So I'm going to buy one from realhotstuff. Before I buy from there, I'm just wondering if the R4s being sold now still have the spring problem I've been reading about?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, I wasn't really aware that there were new r4s, but you shouldn't worry about the spring problem.

All it is is if you use your r4 and switch out the microsd too much or are rough with it, the spring loader becomes detatched. It is pretty easily fixed if you open up your r4, but most people simply just remove the spring entirely and It really is more convenient w/o it. It has never happened to me, and the only one I know it has happened to is my friend who used to play with ejecting the microsd al the time, s If you're not too rough w/ it you should be fine [​IMG]

3. hybridkit

Member hybridkit GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Got a new R4 , it doesnt have spring anymore , just slot ur microSD card in [​IMG]

4. Korey
    OP

Newcomer Korey Newbie

United States
    Cool, thanks for the replies. One more question: Does the R4 stick out from the back of the ds or is it flush like regular slot 1 cartridges?

5. OG LOCC NESS

Member OG LOCC NESS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's flush!

6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    ya i got mine in december and theirs no spring. btw mines black.

7. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Where would I find one of those new R4s in the US. I have an old one and im fine with it but it has been messing up. I would like to purchase a new one for me and a friend.

8. turtleman

Member turtleman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hm..that's strange how they took the spring out...Glad I got mine february last year, I think the spring is a pretty useful feature.

9. sebast2600

Newcomer sebast2600 Member

United States
    I bought mine from realhotstuff about 2 weeks ago, and there is no spring. The box I received was new and in perfect condition. It seems the design of this new R4 is also much better than the old one. The plastic used is more solid, and it fits perfectly well into the slot one, just like an original DS game. This new R4 is IMO the perfect solution for the NDS, I played hours and hours with it, and all the games I've tried worked. Frankly, I fail to see why some people would pay more for a CycloDS or something like that. Maybe the CycloDS have some better skins, but as far as the NDS games are concerned, the R4 just perfectly does its job.

Turtleman wrote: "hm..that's strange how they took the spring out...Glad I got mine february last year, I think the spring is a pretty useful feature."

It does not surprise me. Considering there are so many kids out there who don't really pay attention to their R4DS, and who press on the SD card like a bunch of savages to remove it, the spring would eventually broke at some point. Like for everything that is small and made of tiny electronic and mechanical parts, you have to be gentle and careful, no matter how solid the product is. That's why the R4 ream removed the spring, this way people can't break it anymore.

10. turtleman

United States
    I always use minimal pressure for removing my DS games and My MicroSD card. The spring still works like the day I got it.

11. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    most of the time i had litle children come back with a broken r4 spring, Somehow they mess it up. Glad the new R4's are without spring now [​IMG]

12. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    I bought one with a spring in September, but they no longer have springs in them.

13. turtleman

United States
    Do you work in some kinda...flash cart shop?

14. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    ^ No, he bought one online.

And, the R4's have not had springs for a long time. And I don't think that you can buy the ones that have one anymore.

15. turtleman

United States
    Then what's he talking about having most of the kids coming back to him with broken springs?

16. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    I guess you're right. Either that, or he's Pedobear in disguise! Jokes. [​IMG]

17. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've had both(a springy R4 and the non-springy-my current one) and I love it! I suppose they're are more skins out there for the other cards, but if I can ever learn how to make skins for the R4 I'd be set. R4 is simple and does the main job required(playing games). [​IMG]

PS: Anyone point me in the direction of a R4 skin making program/tutorial? Thanks in advance.

18. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    I've found more skins for the R4 than I have found for other cards. Maybe you're not looking in the right places. (You do realise M3Simply skins also work for R4, right?)

As for a skin guide, try looking at the sticky FAQ thread.

Here's a website with loads of skins you can look for. http://www.ndsthemes.com/

19. Volsfan91

Member Volsfan91 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What about the new M3 Simply's? Spring loaded or no?

20. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada