Are the joycons region locked?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by lpoolm, Sep 3, 2018.

1. lpoolm
    OP

lpoolm GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
    So I have a faulty right joycon, it's the r button
    I opened it and have found the micro switch for the r button has come loose. I hoped a dot of solder either side would fix it but it seems the pins have been bent and pulled up the pads so unless I can trace where the pins go to then it's very broken..
    Going back to my subject though I've seen you can buy joycon motherboards for around £13 from China or £20 from within UK but are they region locked, I don't want to buy one if its not going to be compatible?
    Any help would be great,also if any one has a link to a picture of the joycon motherboard that would be great too so I can try and find some solder points for this button

2. mattytrog

mattytrog You don`t want to listen to anything I say.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Not region locked. Same thing happened to me. I went to what was left of the traces with some awg40 to the switch pins, and epoxied it to the board.

lpoolm likes this.
  3. lpoolm
    OP

lpoolm GBAtemp Regular

Jun 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I have had a closer look i can not find traces, tried to have a little scrape around where pads used to be but think i am just scratching up board!
    any ideas if any of the surrounding test pads could be for the switch?
    thanks

Attached Files:

4. Gedi223

Gedi223 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2008
    United States
    No region lock. I use the MARIO red and the opposite splatoon pink/green from japan (so I have r/l pink r/l green) on US switch.

5. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    I believe one of the best parts of the Switch is that none of it is region-locked. Whether it's game carts, joy cons, or whatever, their all universal which is pretty dang cool.

Tiger21820 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted