Are Canadian eShop prices cheaper?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by OldGnashburg, Mar 7, 2017.

1. OldGnashburg
    OP

OldGnashburg Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    In Canada, Brain Age for example is 6.99 + 5% GST, except for the GST, isn't that the same price you pay in the USA? If so, wouldn't that make Canada's prices cheaper due to the low Canadian Dollar?

2. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Don't forget our provincial sales tax too (PST). If your a tourist I believe you can claim the tax back though. Also some things are priced higher here to compensate for the lower dollar.

3. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    It's a comman practice to have the same numeric value that looks good and which are people still ready to pay instead of calculating the price acording to the exchange rate (for which btw. Nintendo most likely would use the Yen<->Target exchange rate instead of US$<->Target since it's a traditional japanese company) in appstores, eshops, ...
    This also has to do with the fact that you don't want to change the price often just because the exchange rate changed (6.99 -> 7.13?).
    E.g. in the euro-area it also is 6.99 (with taxes since they're always in the displayed prices here. But if one country makes that different I'm sure they just would go for 6.99€ + GST).

The numeric value only is changed where it makes sense. Either because 6.99 is really to low/high due to the value of the money e.g. 6.99¥ would be just ~0.08CAD, because it's uncommon to have odd prices in general in a country (then they could go for 7 instead of 6.99) or because a countries population is really poor. I assume the prices in russia e.g. are much lower (at least on steam they're), guess there're also south american countries with much lower prices.

Last edited by VitaType, Mar 7, 2017
  4. Patodox

Patodox GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    south american eshops has no games, just updates.
    In the PSN store, the south american stores has higher prices than US

5. OldGnashburg
    OP

OldGnashburg Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    I wonder if Nintendo cares about any potential losses (albeit minimal).

Last edited by OldGnashburg, Mar 7, 2017