Are Acer laptops good for Linux these days?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a laptop to install Linux Mint onto, but I have one question: are Acer laptops a good option for Linux these days?
Need something far more powerful to run Linux these days. An Intel Core i5 and 8GB of RAM is the bare minimum you can go for.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I heard new Acer laptop have something new BIOS have hidden feature not show to unlock something like secure boot or something. Check Acer model on internet which everyone can turn off secure boot, etc to install Linux operating system.

I heard about System76 and never try it. I don't know what desktop have different kind of motherboard brand names. But sad don't have 5.25 inches to put DVD/Blu-ray drive in front of desktop. Price is pretty higher.

That's why I force to build my own custom desktop computer with three 5.25 inches to put DVD and Blu-ray drives in them then make future proof like that. I heard some companies are going to make world's first 1 TB disc and 2 TB disc (both burn and read data) that have new laser technology over CD, DVD and Blu-ray discs. I guess it's not backward compatible with CD, DVD and Blu-ray. We have to buy separate drive in desktop and not know when will release out in near future. I always love all my physical disc collection like CD, DVD and Blu-ray since Windows 95 to Windows XP. Reason why I hate all new computers come without disc drive to save money, Shame on most of companies for rip our money off. :(

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need something far more powerful to run Linux these days. An Intel Core i5 and 8GB of RAM is the bare minimum you can go for.
What are you talking about? Idle ram usage could literally be less than 1gb on some distros.
Post automatically merged:

I want to get a laptop to install Linux Mint onto, but I have one question: are Acer laptops a good option for Linux these days?
I mean most devices can. The main think you have to worry about are drivers. If the Wifi card manufacturer offers drivers natively then you are good. There are some though where you would need to manually install the drivers. This could be an issue if you don't have Ethernet access.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What are you talking about? Idle ram usage could literally be less than 1gb on some distros.
Anything from 2011 with 4GB runs extremely slow for me with Linux Mint.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything from 2011 with 4GB runs extremely slow for me with Linux Mint.
I mean I use a linux box from 2009 for lots of stuff. It's slow but still miles faster than what I would get on Windows.

I could probably make it even better if I switched away from a desktop to just a window manager, but I just don't use the device enough.

Reactions: SylverReZ

pojes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard new Acer laptop have something new BIOS have hidden feature not show to unlock something like secure boot or something. Check Acer model on internet which everyone can turn off secure boot, etc to install Linux operating system.

I heard about System76 and never try it. I don't know what desktop have different kind of motherboard brand names. But sad don't have 5.25 inches to put DVD/Blu-ray drive in front of desktop. Price is pretty higher.

That's why I force to build my own custom desktop computer with three 5.25 inches to put DVD and Blu-ray drives in them then make future proof like that. I heard some companies are going to make world's first 1 TB disc and 2 TB disc (both burn and read data) that have new laser technology over CD, DVD and Blu-ray discs. I guess it's not backward compatible with CD, DVD and Blu-ray. We have to buy separate drive in desktop and not know when will release out in near future. I always love all my physical disc collection like CD, DVD and Blu-ray since Windows 95 to Windows XP. Reason why I hate all new computers come without disc drive to save money with Home Remodel Bellevue, Shame on most of companies for rip our money off. :(
Acer laptops hang and don't perform well on the Linux distro. It's the reason may vary from BIOS version to the mismatch of kernel version and Nvidia driver.

• Sad
Reactions: console

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My family bought two Acer (3610 / 9410) laptops years ago which the screens themselves became loose and then broke so certainly not built to last, but I still do like Acer Aspire 9410 (or whatever model number it is) to run Windows XP, even if just for nostalgia's sake.

That said, it only has 1GB or 2GB RAM (which can be upgraded to 4GB RAM but it's still far from ideal) so you really can't do much with it even if I'd install Linux Mint on it it wouldn't be a smooth experience.

Concurrently, I'm using a Samsung laptop from 2012 with 8GB RAM, AMD E E2-1800 1.7 GHz, with Linux Mint XFCE Edition and I'm happy with it, the only downside to it is that it can't handle x265 videos so I convert them to x264 and then they run fine on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright