Archos 28 Internet Tablet?

Discussion in 'Android' started by xdmario1, Apr 4, 2011.

Apr 4, 2011

Archos 28 Internet Tablet? by xdmario1 at 1:45 AM (1,640 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. xdmario1
    OP

Newcomer xdmario1 Member

United States
    Specs

Decided to ask more experienced Android users on this device. Looks good for $100 right or are are the specifications just not worth it? This will be my first Android device. [​IMG]

TL;DR: Yay or Nay for purchase. [​IMG]

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    If you're strapped for cash and you MUST have android, it's a pretty good device for the money. It's like an android phone without the phone.

It has an awesome screen for it being resistive too.

3. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    It's really more of an MP3 player with Android tacked on. The specs are similar to low-end smartphone, only you can't call or text on it (maybe with Google Voice, if it has a mic for the calling bit). It's got a resistive touchscreen, like the DS, so it probably won't do multitouch either. Good pocket-sized MP3 or maybe video player, works if you really need a pocket web browser, maybe even for reading. Don't expect to do much emulation or anything on it. Given Archos' history, and the fact that it says apps are downloadable from 'AppsLib' rather than the Android Market, don't expect to be able to install a load of apps, either.

Basically, depends what you want to do with it, but it's little more than a glorified MP3 player.

4. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Ew, Resistive touch is a HUGE turn off.

5. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    how is that a tablet?
    o.O

6. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    It's not, it's Archos trying to cash on on buzzword-generated sales.

7. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    That's the exact device I bought for my first android device. After two days the touch screen went buggy and now it's horrible to use.
    It won't run heavy games of course, but what surprised me was that it couldn't even run angry birds.

I use it everyday though, for music and e-book reading. Gameboy Advance emulation works well, and I presume SNES, GBC, and others work okay too.
    The browser works okay. I used the stock, but then switched to Opera Mini 6. The screen is soooo small but the zoom-in-on-text thing works well enough so it's usable.

Oh, and it can be hacked to run the Google Market, easily. Appslib kinda sucks.

8. indask8

Member indask8 New Member Forever

France
    I have one,

The biggest bottleneck are the 128MB of ram, absolutely not enough to run Froyo, this is why this "tablet" can't run any big apps (even the android built in browser wont be able to show gbatemp it will close because of not enough ram).

They wanted to go cheap at archos, and this device is a big fail because of the 128MB of ram (with 256 it would have been excellent for that price).

Some specs:
    -It uses a TI OMAP 3630 Containing a ARM Cortex A8 @800Mhz (underclocked at 600) + A PowerVr SGX 530 GPU + 128MB RAM, Yes CPU/GPU is great, but not the ram....

9. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    ^ agreed. The Archos 32 is a much better choice, it's only $50 more, and has 256MB of RAM and a bigger screen.

10. xdmario1
    OP

Newcomer xdmario1 Member

United States
    Yeah, I ended up buying one. Needless to say it errors on connecting to my router, and I have to restart it to connect to the internet. I regret purchasing it now, but I am a student, and with more knowledge in computer hardware, maybe could open this thing up and mod it later...

11. freestile

Member freestile GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey man I order one too. Just cause I couldnt pass up the price. They had em on sale for $79.99 on
    tigerdirect.com. Shipping was like 2.99 for econo shippinh 4-9 days. I think the last day of the sale is tomorrow. I just basically want to stream music and random video clips from my computer when I'm outside, and it says it utilizes samba and upnp so I should be good to go on that. I'm a student and almost graduated, but I'm not sure what more I'll be able to do with this. If anything I would like to get it hacked to run the Google Market. Other than that I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.