ROM Hack Applying two patches at the same time on the same ROM - possible?

wanderindirk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi there, I figure this might be a pretty noobish question, but still. I'm trying to get my Inazuma Eleven 2 Firestorm ROM AP-patched (with that DS-Scene tool) and Remaster-patched (with xdelta). Now I've tried this sequentially, and it didn't seem to work. I've tried first applying the AP patch and then the Remaster patch, and vice-versa, but on both occasions the first patching already altered the ROM in a way that made it illegible for the second.

Is there anyway to work around this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What cart do you have that you need an AP removal patch for a 2012 vintage game with it? Might be time to get a proper cart.

Anyway stacking patches varies with what is done. If the AP patch is done properly though then it should stack with the other.

The problem in this case may come with xdelta. Unlike a lot of earlier patching systems it tries to verify the input file is the one it expects, and obviously if you have changed it with an AP removal patch then it will not be what it expects. Xdelta's command line does have an option but if you prefer a GUI then https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/ should have it too.
Do the AP one first as it should change very little but the remaster patch will probably change things quite a lot and might confuse the AP stuff.

The AP patch if done properly should take out the relevant binaries and overlays, patch out the AP checks and put it back in exactly where it found them. Not all will and I don't know the DS-Scene tool well enough to know what approach it uses. If necessary we could take the AP patch, figure out the changes and insert that back into the ROM and disrupt as little as possible such that it won't matter. Hopefully it won't come to that though. Alternatively we could merge the two patches at file system level but that is a lot more work.

Reactions: VinsCool

wanderindirk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
What cart do you have that you need an AP removal patch for a 2012 vintage game with it? Might be time to get a proper cart.

Anyway stacking patches varies with what is done. If the AP patch is done properly though then it should stack with the other.

The problem in this case may come with xdelta. Unlike a lot of earlier patching systems it tries to verify the input file is the one it expects, and obviously if you have changed it with an AP removal patch then it will not be what it expects. Xdelta's command line does have an option but if you prefer a GUI then https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/ should have it too.
Do the AP one first as it should change very little but the remaster patch will probably change things quite a lot and might confuse the AP stuff.

The AP patch if done properly should take out the relevant binaries and overlays, patch out the AP checks and put it back in exactly where it found them. Not all will and I don't know the DS-Scene tool well enough to know what approach it uses. If necessary we could take the AP patch, figure out the changes and insert that back into the ROM and disrupt as little as possible such that it won't matter. Hopefully it won't come to that though. Alternatively we could merge the two patches at file system level but that is a lot more work.

Thanks for your reply :) I'm trying to play it on my 3DS with DSiMenu++, meaning directly off the SD card and not thru a flashcart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...