Homebrew Aperture Science DS not working?

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anybody who can play smea's Aperture Science DS, can you help me? Whenever I try playing it on DSiMenu++ (I prefer that name over TWiLight Menu++), it freezes. I have the latest version of nds-bootstrap, and I'm on a New 2DS XL (with CFW, no flashcart )

Thx,
Ham :yay3ds::yayu:

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Whenever I try playing it on DSiMenu++ (I prefer that name over TWiLight Menu++), it freezes."
I meant it goes to a white screen, and then freezes.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may not be compatible. NDSBootstrap's compatibility with homebrew is pretty shoddy right now, so I'd suggest getting a NDS Flashcart and using NTR Launcher with it if it doesn't spoof an already existing game.

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may not be compatible. NDSBootstrap's compatibility with homebrew is pretty shoddy right now
Why does nds-bootstrap even have bad homebrew ROM compatibility? :cry:
I'd suggest getting a NDS Flashcart and using NTR Launcher with it

I'd rather take advantage of CFW than buying an R4. Other than that, sure, I'll get an R4, probably R4 Gold Pro. :unsure:

Thx,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd rather take advantage of CFW than buying an R4. Other than that, sure, I'll get an R4, probably R4 Gold Pro. :unsure:

Thx,
Oh, and also, I have a Rasperry Pi with RetroPie: gonna see if ASDS works there.

D

Deleted User

Thx,

Oh, and also, I have a Rasperry Pi with RetroPie: gonna see if ASDS works there.
........ You don't understand at all do you?
Ok so nds bootstrap is something pretty new. Like, extremely new. And was considered impossible. As to get the 3ds or dsi to run a ds game off the sd card slot was considered outright impossible. Mostly because of the fact that game carts varied a lot, some using different save chips, to the type of chips it expects to be run on. Flashcards don't have the same problems since they fake a normal ds cart and have some middle man. (also flashcards have had over ten years to be perfected for ds systems)
And that's with my basic knowledge, there is likely a slew of other problems trying to get ds games working this way.
The homebrew developed for the ds was planned with the ds flashcards in mind as well.

Last edited by ,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may not be compatible. NDSBootstrap's compatibility with homebrew is pretty shoddy right now, so I'd suggest getting a NDS Flashcart and using NTR Launcher with it if it doesn't spoof an already existing game.
There shouldn't be any issues if it spoofs a game.

It used to work with some homebrew ROMs, but sadly, compatibility went down later on.
Homebrew compatibility is currently low on our priority list.

Reactions: Hambrew and Itzumi

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I decided to be patient if ASDS wasn't actually broken, but after a session of Portal 2, my 2DS comes up with a Guru Meditation error:

PC: 0204F746 Addr: 00001000

if it spoofs a game.
Hmm... How do I spoof a game? Keep in mind that I'm on a New 2DS XL w/ Luma3DS and DSiMenu++ Launcher (with the most recent nds-bootstrap)
nds bootstrap is something pretty new. Like, extremely new.
The earliest version was in 2016, but this post was in 2018. I'm just gonna say it's pretty old.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The earliest version was in 2016, but this post was in 2018. I'm just gonna say it's pretty old.
Yeah, and? It was literally only like earlier this year (2018 as of writing this post) did it actually start playing games at a playable speed. The team is currently working on trying to get better game compatibility.
If you want better homebrew support, then it's currently recommend to buy a flashcart.
Also, why not use the 3DS version instead?
https://gbatemp.net/download/aperture-science-3d.35231/

Last edited by The Catboy,

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might as well call the Switch old.
OK! :D
If you want better homebrew support, then it's currently recommend to buy a flashcart.
Also, why not use the 3DS version instead?
https://gbatemp.net/download/aperture-science-3d.35231/
It lacks a level editor, and seriously? only 8 maps from the get-go? Not saying smea put no work, but it wouldn't hurt if like there was a way to port the level editor from ASDS and apply it to AS3D.
Also, I uploaded that because I noticed a ton of people wanting to try it.

what if I ran ASDS via the HBmenu via DSiMenu++ :huh:

Last edited by Hambrew,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality