anyone know how to join a domain on virtualbox over internet?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Procyon, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Procyon
    OP

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    Hello,

I am trying to join a domain, but I can only do it on VirtualBox and remotely using Ubuntu Linux.
    I don't know well how to do it.Does anyone have an idea how to do it? I'd love to know it.
    I'm new here and I'm learning to program, I want to make some homebrew in the future.

Thanks in advance,
    Homebrew/console_hack_fan

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    When you say domain I assume you mean the windows server concept.

Realistically it should not matter but it sounds like there is a domain out there across the internet, and you have a VM on your machine you wish to have join it.

Traditionally you would have a virtual private network between the remote location (like you house) and the main network (work/school/whatever) and after joining with the VPN you can then join the domain. For basic remote desktop there are ways to do it over the plain internet without setting up a VPN (just some port forwarding) but exposing your local domain to the internet is probably a firing offence in most sysadmin jobs. I mention remote desktop as setting one of those up might be the better option for you, though it might not so no need to worry if that is the case.

Virtualbox's network stuff is odd and you may have to choose one of the other options.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
    https://blogs.oracle.com/fatbloke/entry/networking_in_virtualbox1

Either way you want the VM to see the VPN into the network with the domain. Once you are on that network then you can join the domain and do all the things that having a domain affords you.

By the way you can also join a domain with Linux. The samba program does quite well with domains these days, it can even do a lot of the server side of things these days as well.

3. Procyon
    OP

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    Thanks for the information. I look forward to the other parts of this forum too.