Anyone here good at chemistry?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Scott-105, Sep 26, 2011.

Sep 26, 2011
  1. Scott-105
    OP

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I think this is the right section [​IMG]

Anyway, so I am in grade 12 chemistry at school. We did a lab the other day entitled "Comparison of Three Isomers of Butanol". We had to mix 1-Butanol, 2-Butanol and 2-methyl 2-propanol with concentrated hydro chloric acid. There was no reaction with the first two alcohols, but the third alcohol turned cloudy. Then, we mixed the same three alcohols with KMnO4(aq). The first two alcohols had a color change, but the third didn't. One of the questions associated with the lab asks "How can this investigation be accounted for in terms of intermolecular forces?" Does anyone know how to answer that? [​IMG]

If you need more info from me, just ask.

EDIT: Shoot, I thought I was in general discussions. Could a mod move this?

2. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    I don't know the rest, but this truly is the most fitting section. I honestly don't think you'll find anyone on this site that can help you though.

3. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    You'd be surprised. A significant chunk of GBAtemp has extensive knowledge in various academic subjects. We have plenty of university graduates here... Though Chemistry 12 is kind of out of my reach (I'm a year below), so I can't really help on the subject. But I'm sure SOMEONE on these forums will be able to help.

4. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I graduated with an emphasis on physics, unfortunately I didn't have many (if any) chemistry classes.

(This is coming from my drinkingness right now)

based on the dispersion of cloudyness; I would imagine there was some sort of charge that is repelling each other (which causes the dispersion to occur). One alcohol may have been metallic which would act as a conductor (in which the charge would balance amongst the alcohol freely) thus changing color?

bleeehehehe

5. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    I'm in Chemistry 10 so I don't know much about it [​IMG]

But maybe this can help -->link