Hacking Anyone have any news whatsoever about Gateway 3DS multi-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I figured out how the emuNAND Tool works, and was able to inject the NAND that I saved prior to formatting my NAND to install emuNAND... but, it was the NAND I copied from 4.5.0-10U, not 7.x.

Dammit. Lost my progress in PW - DD and now I have to redownload all of my everything. Last time I switch SD cards, that's for sure.

Do you still have the original SD? All you need to do is make an image of it, flash it to your new one, then use a program to merge the unallocated space to the main partition.

edit: You could use something like HDD Raw Copy Tool. I used it before when I swapped my 16gb microsd with android on it to a 32gb card for my nook HD+. Worked great and I just used any file manager program to get the other 16gb of unallocated space. (Can't remember what I used exactly, probably easeUS)

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And why are we taking the word of this random unknown user while scene devs have said it is upgradable?

And which scene devs have confirmed this, other than GW themselves?
Anyone can crack it open and see the JTAG pins connected. But that only tells half the story. The next question is, can the 3DS interface with the JTAG input to update the FPGA? People in the know say it can't.

Niklas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
exFAT or NTFS because they support file sizes larger than 4 GB... that is why. Other than that, no other reason.

Yes, but as I wrote in my last post they still need to use either rom trimming or split the roms.
Simply becouse when using the backup function they promised it will be to the SD in the 3DS instead of the gateway microsd.
Since they can't implement a new filesystem for that SD card and since retail roms are bigger then the filesize limitation.
That still doesn't mean that GW can use those backups if they are split, but it doesn't mean they can't either.
If it can launch the split files there would be no need for another filesystem (without the work and legal incomplience).
But even if it doesn't it would just mean that games over 4GB after trimming wouldn't support multirom as long as they keep
the current possibillity to use the images via Win32DiskImager.exe.
From a marketing point of view they would still support all current games and have multirom.
So the added value of another filesystem would be limited.
Let's not forget that there are at worst only a few games larger than 4GB after trimming (currently),
looking into the future the bigger problem is the new encryption (unless it's solved new games over 4GB wouldn't be the big problem).

Taking all that into consideration it would be nice with exFAT, but it would add little value.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Bricking implies it unrecoverable......I think the term brick has now been de-bunked, I'm sure they would have a nice Unbricking setup so they can test their brick code thoroughly :P

Niklas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone can crack it open and see the JTAG pins connected. But that only tells half the story. The next question is, can the 3DS interface with the JTAG input to update the FPGA? People in the know say it can't.

Well accourding to mathieulh it's possible in theory and this can not be a new requirement.
So I doubt that this would be the reason for a delay

They are exposed to the SLOT1 pins of the 3DS. Therefore , in theory signals can be sent to those through code running on the 3DS (an ARM9 payload presumably)

I don't know enough about the interface used by SLOT1 to know which traces the pins translate to. However it seems likely that it's been designed with updating/reprogramming in mind.

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

People in the know being a newly registered user with only a handful of posts? I'll wait until someone trusted confirms it before I believe that rumour.

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are the demo carts that they have in shops

but why would someone want the demo when they can just get the full game? Unless it's a game that hasn't come out yet.. but most of the demo roms i've seen have been for old games. doesn't make sense to me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
to have a mess about on......there is actually a movie player kisok cart.....but i dont think anyone knows what file type it reads or where to put the videos for it to play as this player might not have the 10 min video limit that seems to piss some people off XD

but i think the main reason is just for the sake of it....cant have a complete set if you don't dump everything right?

oh and another funny note is that they lock you into the game/demo unless you remove the cart or force reset, the home button does nothing.....yes i tried one :P

J. Sinclair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, but as I wrote in my last post they still need to use either rom trimming or split the roms....

I agree. We can not change the filesystem on that SD card, so 4GB and larger files will be a problem, and for the future, I'm guessing many more devs will make larger games it they can use it for loading/less compression.

A romsplitter is not far fetched as it would save the backup, but still on the sd card.
On the other hand, you would have to swap to a sd card that would be larger than 4 GB to be able to do that. (I don't have the currently :P )
Also, they would have to make a program to make the several files into one rom again.
And they should use exFAT or NTFS for the RedCart... It just makes more sense to allow a filesystem with larger file handling to be the base if we are to use larger files... Unless they run zips...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Tbh I doubt their will be many games released over 4GB the developers have to pay more to make the game on a bigger chip.....if your talking about a production of millions of copies of a game, it would mean a very big investment, so unless they are certain they will shift an awful lot of copies I doubt many would be tempted to break the 4GB mark.....maybe a future pokemon might, they know that will sell like hot cakes

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant reply to anyones posting. anyone know why?

anyway agree with J.Sinclair I think if they had a way that it could read from a zip or rar file without sacrificing the size of the rom file that would work. but ive tried rom trimming and I never seen any issues with it after trimming. I did it to donkey kong and it played fine with no issues sound or gameplay.

shibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they release nand saving feature soon, I want to play Pokemon and Animal Crossing. Not too excited about multi rom =)

shibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please Gateway Team! If you can read this... release nand saving.... ::Pray::

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to have a mess about on......there is actually a movie player kisok cart.....but i dont think anyone knows what file type it reads or where to put the videos for it to play as this player might not have the 10 min video limit that seems to piss some people off XD

but i think the main reason is just for the sake of it....cant have a complete set if you don't dump everything right?

oh and another funny note is that they lock you into the game/demo unless you remove the cart or force reset, the home button does nothing.....yes i tried one :P

well i dont know if one exists or not ,but i would really like a rom dump of megaman legends demo

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry guys, but we are soooo OFF TOPIC...

Anyone have any news whatsoever about Gateway 3DS multi-ROM?

-I read somewhere that someone emailed the Gateway team and they said the same thing.. SOON.

You're right!
I've been trying to keep myself occupied just waiting for the GW home page to update. It's easy to go off topic, but it's fun and helps the time pass. GW have already stated news will hit their site first.

Knoedel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
man im waiting for 2.0 since october, this is getting rediculous.
if you ask me they should at least release a third beta, im tired of waiting for months now.

shibi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you ask me they should at least release a third beta, im tired of waiting for months now.

I'm actually losing hope already. Do you think its better if I sell my 3ds xl and gateway?

higher87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

last thing you want at this point is another beta, they should have it fully tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones