Hardware Anyone have an idea how to fix my hdd? (Video)

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nah the thing is, those are manufactured serviced and rescued in clean rooms (we're talking those full lab suits) and are sealed so dust doesn't get in because it can get magnetized and wreak havoc on the magnetic platter.

Once the open air hits it, it's going to continue to deteriorate. You just can't open them man, you gained nothing from opening it. Freezing it in a freezer or whacking it with your hand to loosen the arm are things you could have done to marginally fix it.

it's toast. pray some kind of utility can read data from it without bluescreening your pc. start with spinrite.

also, make sure you don't touch it and keep small hard things away from it while it's running. they little motor is powerful and if a penny falls in it, it could go right through the wall or your head.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I know but I had to but even if it's almost dead because I opened it I can still use it a little bit if I can fix it. It's temporary
if the thing still works temporarly (as i understood from your post)
take that temporarily lucky change to backup your files to a new one. once an hdd starts giving problems it is dying out of old age or faulty, even if it can be repaired the hassle is not worth it

Virdoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Then simply backup your files and buy new one. There isn't way to fix it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a dozen or so of HDD's a week that are "dead". about half of them I can get running again by taking the PCB off, then cleaning the contacts on the underside of the PCB and the corresponding contacts on the HDD. They are very tiny, and very fragile. There will be two sets. one set coming directly from the center of the HDD where the motor is, and the other set will be two rows close together. Use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. don't over do it. you can easily break them or rub right through the traces. you will need a safety bit set to take the PCB off. if you plan of working on computers, or any electronics for that matter, you should invest in a safety bit set from amazon. Take your time while taking the PCB off and you will see where they are. But like others have said. Once you opened it you killed any chance of getting it going again. You are not the first one to do it. don't feel bad. It's how we learn shit. before you trash the HDD grab the magnets out of it. They are crazy strong and besides being fun to play with they can be very useful.

Aldoria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I get a dozen or so of HDD's a week that are "dead". about half of them I can get running again by taking the PCB off, then cleaning the contacts on the underside of the PCB and the corresponding contacts on the HDD. They are very tiny, and very fragile. There will be two sets. one set coming directly from the center of the HDD where the motor is, and the other set will be two rows close together. Use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. don't over do it. you can easily break them or rub right through the traces. you will need a safety bit set to take the PCB off. if you plan of working on computers, or any electronics for that matter, you should invest in a safety bit set from amazon. Take your time while taking the PCB off and you will see where they are. But like others have said. Once you opened it you killed any chance of getting it going again. You are not the first one to do it. don't feel bad. It's how we learn shit. before you trash the HDD grab the magnets out of it. They are crazy strong and besides being fun to play with they can be very useful.
lol thanks gonna grab those magnets (and the problem with the hdd is that my laptop fell when it was spinning so it broke my os, i did low format it worked for 2 months then it broke again, then re low formatted, worked for 2 others months then perma death (there's marks on the disk inside))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, MP3s were designed to be as small as possible, so that they can be shared on...