Anyone else watch movies through moonshell?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I love using Moonshell to watch videos and listening to music. Arguably the best feature of my Cyclo is Moonshell. I'm never short of entertainment with this thing around. I normally rely on another site for my video encodes, and it normally keeps pretty up to date with the latest movies, etc. Dunno if I'm allowed to post the name so I won't to be on the safe side. But there's one video in particular I wanted in dpg. The little side project from Monty Oum in which Tifa, Kasumi and the other girl I can't remember the name of (Helena, I think) are dancing to 'Obsessed' by Mariah Carey in various states of slutty clothing. I already have all five parts of the Dead Fantasy series so this just completes my collection. Plus do I really need an excuse to carry around a video of Tifa in a cowgirl outfit and Kasumi in a school uniform? No, I don't. It's self justifying.

But after posting a request on the site, I find that nobody's interested in helping me. So I figured 'screw it, I'll do it myself for once.' Which didn't exactly go all that well 'cause I'm an absolute newb. After downloading about half a dozen converter programs I ended up with two files. The dpg I ended up with had a watermark in the centre, the sound was messed up, and it cut out half way through. So I took a look at the other file, a bizarre accident file in which the original AviSynth file I got from stealing the vid from Youtube which had somehow been converted to something my Windows Media Player could understand, I still don't know how that happened, I don't remember converting it.

Ran that second file through the bog-standard Batch DPG and there we go, working fine. The sound seemed messed up at first but then I twigged that I'd set the volume to 400% and it quite often sounds a bit corrupted when it's boosted like that, set it back to 100% and it seems fine to me. So I now have the complete Dead Fantasy collection in dpg. Woot.

You've probably gathered by now that this thread serves no purpose whatsoever. I'm just kinda bored waiting for the decent tv to start so I figured I'd let you know how I've spent the last hour and half. But I suppose we really should have some sort of purpose here. So here's my question. Do any of you watch movies on your DS? What have you got stored on your card at the moment, movie wise? I'll start. On my 8GB main card (contains most of my games, movies and all my music and image files) right now is:

- The entire Dead Fantasy series, including the Obsessed video.
- Every episode of 'You know whats bullshit'
- A few random Nostalgia Critic episodes
- The last two Pokemon movies I've not seen yet, 'Heroes' and 'Temple of the Sea'. After playing Soul Silver I felt kinda kiddy so I went on a Pokemon movie marathon. In case you're wondering, I'm 22. And I don't care.
- Jennifer's Body. It contains a Megan Fox lesbian kiss, that's all the reason I need to spend 140MB.
- Enemy at the Gates. A film about famous Russian sniper Vasilli Zietzef in the battle of Stalingrad, pretty good.
- A couple of AVGN episodes
- Final Fantasy 7 Last Order anime
- Seth McFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy.
- Two clips from Robot Chicken, the one where Darth Vader phones the Emperor about the Death Star, and the one where Voltron gets served.

And on my 1GB dedicated movie card,

- A few more Nostalgia Critic's
- Legion
- The Count Of Monte Cristo
- Beavis and Butthead Do America.

Wow, kinda went on a bit too long there. So, who else watches movies on Moonshell, and what do you watch?

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Nope, I find myself close to my laptop at all times, and I rather focus on a large screen. How is Legion, anyhow?

I used to watch Sousei No Aquarion on moonshell. It was fun, although turning up the volume meant questions about why there was moaning in it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I find that converting to .DPG takes away some of the quality and messes with the sound sync.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Who the heck uses DPG?! Tuna-viDS for Moonshell2 FTW!
128k dual-pass XviD @10 fps and 64k stereo MP3 audio FTW
tongue.gif

Though Id rather get an iPlayer so I can watch them at higher framerates...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its more or less of a joke as far of media players go

(and I dont mean moonshell, I mean the actual ds playing various media)

I have a laptop, zune, and psp instead for those purposes

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
macgeek417 said:
tongue.gif

DPG is fine, especially when it's encoded well, like on BatchDPG or something like that.

I have a few episodes of Farscape on my card; other than those, just some random videos on YouTube that I save.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
macgeek417 said:
tongue.gif

DPG is fine, especially when it's encoded well, like on BatchDPG or something like that.

I have a few episodes of Farscape on my card; other than those, just some random videos on YouTube that I save.

The problem with DPG is you need specific software to encode it. ANYTHING can encode XviD+MP3+AVI (I use ffmpeg)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
macgeek417 said:
ProtoKun7 said:
macgeek417 said:
tongue.gif

The problem with DPG is you need specific software to encode it. ANYTHING can encode XviD+MP3+AVI (I use ffmpeg)
Yeah, but I have the software
wink.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Anyone can get the software, also GBATMW has everything for you if you like watching films etc on the DS. (Isn't that right Veho?
wink.gif
) I wonder how they look on a DSi XL, actually, must be pretty awesome
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout