Homebrew Anyone else feeling kinda weird?

silentreapr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I play games because I enjoy them. If I download a ROM and I like it, I'll keep playing it to the end, and replay it too.

For example Pokemon Diamond right now, even though it's only a ROM I'm still training my pokemon, I'm not skipping through anything or taking shortcuts etc.

So no, I don't feel weird at all.

WezG

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For some reason, whenever I play roms off of my flashcart, I get this weird feeling. However, when I play the real cartrdige of the game I have on my flashcart, I don't get that feeling at all. Could it possibly be the fact that I'm realizing I'm only playing the game as an artificial copy instead of the real thing? I mean, I know roms came from real cartridges and all but I'm beginning to think that even if I play it on an actual DS, it still kinda feels like the same as emulating it on a PC (Except it runs better and you have pretty much full features of it). Anyone else get this feeling or am I the only one?

maybe its the matrix
rofl2.gif

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, whenever I play roms off of my flashcart, I get this weird feeling. However, when I play the real cartrdige of the game I have on my flashcart, I don't get that feeling at all. Could it possibly be the fact that I'm realizing I'm only playing the game as an artificial copy instead of the real thing? I mean, I know roms came from real cartridges and all but I'm beginning to think that even if I play it on an actual DS, it still kinda feels like the same as emulating it on a PC (Except it runs better and you have pretty much full features of it). Anyone else get this feeling or am I the only one?

wahhh wahhh go cry emo

reemixx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think some people just go a bit overboard when they get a flash cart, and shove a bunch of games on there just because they can. It's no wonder then that you'd feel a bit weird and a bit guilty - you've just cut out the middle man and ripped off several commercial games developers directly.

I reckon we all need to remember to support - as best we can - the companies that make the games we play and enjoy. Contrary to popular belief, not all game companies have infinite amounts of money and won't take a hit from every sale they lose. Many of the smaller companies will disappear without our support.

If you weren't going to buy the game anyway.. Well... one could argue the companies aren't losing a sale because you weren't going to give them one in the first place. On the other hand, you're still playing and enjoying their product. I suppose how you feel about it depends on which view you take.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That weird feeling, my friend, is guilt. Well, that's not exactly true, but I do know that having an income encourages me to buy real cartridges! Anyway, let's look at some differences: (1) you're initial encounter with initializing a new game is a menu full of games instead of swapping out a physical cartridge (2) you have to worry about the type of memory you have, space, correct software, etc. instead of just playing the game (3) Your save file is physically secure.. it's so vulnerable to corruption, manipulation... (4) So much more

Maybe they're just phantom pains like after a soldier loses a leg? Are you drowning in a glut of software?

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. I heard some people rate the game by rom size vs. price. This may inhibit you from exploring the program.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't feel wierd at all. Flashcarts are convienent, all your DS cartridges on one cartridge. You probably feel guilty for not paying for them.

rtype88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol no.

I feel absolutely no guilt or "bad feelings" what so ever.

Perhaps if nintendo was a strugling company and the ds was the last hurrah I'd feel guilty but the DS prints money.

And they make a profit off the hardware so they still made some money from me.

Xanikseo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess the best thing to do is just stop pirating. I know it sounds really goodygoody and all that, but really it is much better. If you don't resist now, when are you going to? In the future? You'll just keep saying "in the future I'll be a better person and stop, so I actually enjoy the games". The tactic never works. I'm afraid it's like smoking
frown.gif
, you can't stop smoking easily unless you stop altogether and get a patch.

It's sooo sad, when I stopped pirating, I got this CONSTANT temptation to just get my M3 out and play some pirated FF3, but once you start again, you just get bored, since all of your demands have been satisfied, and you just start switching to other games again. It's so sad. If you pirate and get every game you want, you get bored of having everything, it's a little bit like saying wealth isn't everything. If you don't pirate, man you ENJOY the games, but you get tempted to start pirating again, because for some reason you think you will enjoy that really good pirated game - but you won't, you're just fooling yourself.

You just have to get over it. You have to start somewhere, and you just feel really sad when you stop, because you always think "if I could just play X now, and stop piratig tomorrow", and it just never ends, you never stop pirating.

JUST STOP!!!
-but-but, nahh, just tomorrow
STOPPPP NOW!!!!

It is SO hard. But, you WILL enjoy your games more, you just have to get over the temptations. It'll drive you crazy, but that's what life is like. It's like a orgasm, you get it and you want more, but you can't.

Of course if you don't have this pirate syndrome, then carry on pirating if you want to, even though you know it's wrong (lucky you).

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do not feel bad a all, I would pirate less if europe wouldn't be treated as a god damn 3rd world country when it comes to games
mad.gif

Whinge whinge whinge.

Try living in Australia. A flash cart is nearly a must.

I'm not trying to start a "we're treated worse" pissing contest, but I feel compelled to state the facts.

RRP for DS games in Australia: 50 - 70 AUD (41.24 - 57.74 USD)
RRP for DS games in Britain: 20 - 30 GBP (39.53 - 59.29 USD)

Martijn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vbaskins.com
XP
Country
You can trick yourself into these feelings, as can you trick yourself out of them.
By stating to us all how guilty you sometimes feel, you also tell yourself that everytime you cross over this forum.
If you think it once, go to bed and just forget it, chances are big you never have problems with it again.

You can also trick yourself out of it again. Justify the use of your Flashcard to yourself.
Like telling yourself that if you like the game, you'll buy it.
As you already said: you will probably not finish the game and therefor not 'really' like it.
You don't have to buy it now, and you don't have to feel guilty.

If you do finish a game and you just love it, buy it.
There's nothing wrong with keeping yourself happy once in a while.

This is the only thing I use my flashkit for, testing games.
All fun games I play often are resting in their cases on my desk - all originals.

Hope this will help some.

Quay Cur

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.happynessplanet.com
XP
Country
United States
I think of my flashcart as a gigantic rental store. I hear about a game and want to try it before I buy it. If I like it then I go and get it, if I don't, then I wouldn't have bought it in the first place and delete it. Almost every game I own I played on my flashcart first (except NSMB and other titles that are obviously good). It's definitely paid for itself several times over.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I guess the best thing to do is just stop pirating. I know it sounds really goodygoody and all that, but really it is much better. If you don't resist now, when are you going to? In the future? You'll just keep saying "in the future I'll be a better person and stop, so I actually enjoy the games". The tactic never works. I'm afraid it's like smoking
frown.gif
, you can't stop smoking easily unless you stop altogether and get a patch.
Pirating games doesn't make your breath stink, your teeth go yellow and your veins and arteries get clogged up.
I hope.

- Sam

Retal

Trophies
XP
Country
I also have the exact same feeling. This feeling has caused me to finish neither FFX nor FFXII, in addition to a host of other games.
It's like some bastard child of purchase justification reflex, buyer's remorse and cognitive dissonance, minus a few aspects.
I concur.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.