ROM Hack Anyone could explain me how to edit a decompressed arm9.bin?

• Thread starter XabiPlayerPRO
  • Start date
  • Views 3,974
  • Replies 2
X

XabiPlayerPRO

OP
I know some Nintendo hackers (like Ermii Team's people) did this, and changed some of the game's code, but how do you do it?
I mean, like decompress the arm9 as some C or C++ files and headers, or just assembly language files.
I have lots of editors (MKDSCM, EFE, NSMBe, SDSME, VGMTrans, DS Sound Studio...), and also all the devkitPro libraries.
Any help?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to put a sort of bad answer here. since you are familiar with assembly then you must know of dis assemblers. which means you have already looked into nds specific idapro plugins? or what crystaltile2 can do. which helps amazingly with its nef stuff. so the nef file can help you narrow down ranges that are marked for other things. so if you want to replace the sound stuff where that is. or the font routine... but there are guides on how to do that out there finding the font routine in memory and thus in the rom or just finding it period. those guides may not be specific to the nds but still get you where you need to go.

but the simplest way is with a hex editor.

really depends on what you are planning on doing.

arm9 as in arm 9 assembly. there are arm assembly command manuals out there (very dry stuff)... but it depends as if you are doing a sound hack you may need to touch the arm7 - even then that is highly unlikely as it would be easier to edit the sound files themselves. as I cannot imagine changing the entire way the game loads sounds without very good reason.

they have not made any thing yet that does that dissassmbly to c there is some assembly stuff. close to it but... as it is easier to use idapro with the nds plugin and ct2 with the nef thing and even then there are cheat software or emulators that let you view and trace arm easier than idapro. as you can watch in game while playing live changes. instead of hours or days of going over idapro disassembly stuff.

fast6191 has guide stickied at the top of the forum. read that.

If you could be more specific as to what you want to do that might get you more help.

sandwichwater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to put a sort of bad answer here. since you are familiar with assembly then you must know of dis assemblers. which means you have already looked into nds specific idapro plugins? or what crystaltile2 can do. which helps amazingly with its nef stuff. so the nef file can help you narrow down ranges that are marked for other things. so if you want to replace the sound stuff where that is. or the font routine... but there are guides on how to do that out there finding the font routine in memory and thus in the rom or just finding it period. those guides may not be specific to the nds but still get you where you need to go.

but the simplest way is with a hex editor.

really depends on what you are planning on doing.

arm9 as in arm 9 assembly. there are arm assembly command manuals out there (very dry stuff)... but it depends as if you are doing a sound hack you may need to touch the arm7 - even then that is highly unlikely as it would be easier to edit the sound files themselves. as I cannot imagine changing the entire way the game loads sounds without very good reason.

they have not made any thing yet that does that dissassmbly to c there is some assembly stuff. close to it but... as it is easier to use idapro with the nds plugin and ct2 with the nef thing and even then there are cheat software or emulators that let you view and trace arm easier than idapro. as you can watch in game while playing live changes. instead of hours or days of going over idapro disassembly stuff.

fast6191 has guide stickied at the top of the forum. read that.

If you could be more specific as to what you want to do that might get you more help.
hey , i dont mean to dig up a 5 year old thread but since you mentioned sound hacks and arm7 i figured id take a shot and ask anyways , could you point me in the direction of where id go to learn how to modify the arm7 to slightly change how a game handles audio ¿ if it helps any , the game im trying to hack is kingdom hearts 358/2 days to make the sound effects play more how they do in kingdom hearts recoded , running in the same engine with the same file formats

in recoded your combat finisher has a total of two random voice clips that play , meanwhile in 358/2 days the finisher only has one possible voice clip . im trying to figure out how to bring the two random voice clips aspect of recoded into 358/2 days , i figure its more than possible as theyre running in the same engine , and the non finisher sounds already have randomized clips , but im not quite sure how to go about hacking the arm7 to actually make it happen , which is why i figured id ask . ive already tried simply adding another sound into the .sdat but it seems like it doesnt work because its not told to play that extra sound along with the one already in the game , so theres no way it can be randomized

whether its something like borrowing code to insert or finding what causes the sounds to play randomly or something tougher than that , any help with this would be so appreciated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1