Any way to remove the "click" ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TCTerror, Mar 27, 2011.

Mar 27, 2011
  1. TCTerror
    OP

Newcomer TCTerror Member

United States
    Ok, i like almost everything about my 3DS, but why the hell can't we turn of the "click"-sound, when you take the picture?
    In the fist night after launch, i stayed up long into the night, exploring my 3DS, and of course i used headphones, so my roomates won't wake up.
    But even with headphones plugged in, and Vol. turned to 0%, everytime i tryed to make pics in 3D, this unnessesary sound came out loud, until the roomate from behind the next wall came knocking, telling me to stfu.
    If my normal Digicam (Sony hypersnap) would make some loud noise, everytime i make a pic, i would return it for sure.

So is there any solution?

2. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    The DSi is the same.

You can't turn off the sound without removing the speakers. In short, it's to prevent pervs.

3. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It's illegal in Japan for a camera to not make the shutter sound.

4. TCTerror
    OP

Newcomer TCTerror Member

United States
    I understand it for the Self-timer, so you know when you can move again,
    and i also understand the additional sound before the image is taken, so you can give ppl a sence of timing. And why should pervs choose the 3DS? We live in an age of I-phones, digicams and anything else that got a cam in it. If all cam-producers would do this together, i would understand it.

Typical Nintendo.
    It reminds me on how they treat online gaming on the Wii, making it vry hard for the users to simply communicate to each other while gaming, or simply adding new people.

I hope with the 3DS friendlist, we some day get pictochat back, and can exchange our 3D pics online/streetpass over the friendslist.

Nintendo is so overprotecting family-friendly, it's producing unnessesary disadvanteges for their regular users.

edit: @ mr. deez:
    Oh okay, that explains it quickly.

2 people like this.
  5. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I actually respect Nintendo for their efforts to protect children. If lack of online communication means that even one child doesn't get molested, then it's a worthy trade.

Additionally, I don't want to hear whiny kids screaming about me winning online. Or trolling teenagers.

NekoMichi, tlyee61, loco365 and 3 others like this.
  6. gumbyx84

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Are you really whining about this?. As mr deez said, its illegal for ANY digital camera not to have a shutter sound. I'm not a 100% sure this is true, but I have heard the same in the past. Who cares if it makes a 1-3 second sound. Its not even that loud.

Also, to my knowledge any electronic device with a camera (minus digital cameras) make a shutter sound when you take a photo. At least my current and past cell phones did.

7. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Yeh its annoying i hope some future hack if any has the option to disable it

1 person likes this.
  8. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    There exists a very simple hack to disable this sort of thing on any device.
    Simply open up the device, find the wire that powers the speaker and install a little switch so that you can remove and restore power to the speaker as you wish.

7 people like this.
  9. Ravenius

Newcomer Ravenius Advanced Member

Finland
    I've never seen a digital camera that forces a clicky sound. Maybe Finland has different and more sensible laws.

3 people like this.
  10. gumbyx84

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't believe digital cameras fall under that "law". Its electronic devices with cameras like cell phones, PDAs, etc.

11. TCTerror
    OP

Newcomer TCTerror Member

United States
    Jeah nevermind, i sure wont open my brand new 3DS and remove a speaker xd

12. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It's a Japanese law, so it only affects products which are sold in Japan (and manufacturer's who don't bother to create a toggle for other regions).

NekoMichi likes this.
  13. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    Well my iphone doesn't make the noise if it's on silent.... So technically if you slide the volume down when you take pictures even just for that moment then back up wouldn't this fix your problem?

1 person likes this.
  14. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    iPhones sold in Japan will ignore the silent setting.

NekoMichi likes this.
  15. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    Oh okay yeah I assumed as much, was just suggesting that in the context of the OP

16. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    That's interesting...I never noticed that. My Black Berry (Curve) makes sound when taking a picture, and there's no way of disabling it (to my knowledge.) Hm. I suppose you learn something every day. Thanks.

17. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Two easy solutions;

1. Don't take pictures at night when you have a roommate unless you can tell him to stfu back and deal with It because you can take him.

2. Do the speaker mod switch.

18. iMasaru

Member iMasaru GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Co-Compiler

United Kingdom
    The same law is put to use here in the UK. It's to prevent people from taking pictures of people without their consent, as it's illegal.

19. MaxxFordham

Newcomer MaxxFordham Newbie

United States
    Um, actually, Gumby and Ravenius, the still cameras on electronic devices like game systems and phones ARE digital. So there is no such thing as the idea of "any electronic device with a camera (minus digital cameras)" (except for analog video cameras). Maybe a better thing to say to set those devices apart from regular digital still cameras would be "regular digital still cameras" or "standard digital cameras."

And if there's some law about it in Japan, well then... that's in Japan, and Japanese manufacturerS (without the errant apostrophe, anyway) shouldn't try to impose their stupid laws on us!

20. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Interval shots get VERY annoying with this.