Hacking Any real reason to release a hack?

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't mind seeing a hack from homebrew and homebrew only. Too bad people can never stop there :(
Agreed on this..
It's always the same: People want homebrew, so they try to hack stuff. If it works, there is homebrew.
There's also the portion of greedy people, and they use the gained knoweledge to abuse it and find a way to pirate stuff. Same old story all over again and again. Homebrew would be fantastic, I would love to see what the 3DS is capable of (example: dscraft in 3ds power anyone?)

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As other have said: homewbrew.

Also, I would want it for 'backups' as there are quite a few games that look really fun but I can't bring myself to spend £30 (e.g. Bit Trip. Saga, which is way overpriced).

>.> So for piracy then?

I'd love to see a hack released if only for emulators. To have a real SNES emu running on it, or a proper GBA emulator would be nice :)

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jollyroger.gif

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Also, I would want it for 'backups' as there are quite a few games that look really fun but I can't bring myself to spend £30 (e.g. Bit Trip. Saga, which is way overpriced).

>.> So for piracy then?

I'd love to see a hack released if only for emulators. To have a real SNES emu running on it, or a proper GBA emulator would be nice :)

>.> So for piracy then?

Running emulators on 3DS is piracy too, if you play games that you didn't buy for the snes or gba, that is.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Running emulators on 3DS is piracy too, if you play games that you didn't buy for the snes or gba, that is.
There is no copyright-violating material in any emulator that I can think of unless it requires the BIOS of a given console - emulators can be used to play homebrew y'know. Also, the subject of legality is a matter of where you live - it's not illegal all around the world. Some countries allow it provided that you have the original game.

Reactions: 2 people

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no copyright-violating material in any emulator that I can think of unless it requires the BIOS of a given console - emulators can be used to play homebrew y'know. Also, the subject of legality is a matter of where you live - it's not illegal all around the world. Some countries allow it provided that you have the original game.
And I live in one of those countries. XD

EDIT: But of course, you are forbidden to sell pirated copies of the game. XD

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Instead of hacking the 3DS, I'd like to know how @emigre is thinking of being an excellent wanker. Oh never mind, that wasn't the topic :creep:

OT: The reason why a hack is wanted in the first pace is to get the platform open. Sure it usually leads to piracy (what hasn't?), but it also leads to something else: basically anyone with a will to learn a bit more can make programs for the platform. To all who don't want the platform hacked: If there are means to have GBA emulation on the DS/DSi without a GBA slot cart, why isn't it publicly available on the 3DS for a fee? A piece of hardware added via slot-1 is possible of making a GBA emu with an OK compatibility, but Nintendo doesn't make GBA available. Ambassador games are 10/2800+ games? Great.

tl;dr: "Oh look I have a 3DS. I wonder if there are GBA/older games available? Only for Ambassadors/people with flashcarts? Not an Ambassador, I guess I'll get a flash cart. Hell if something new is possible with the 3DS, it'll be even more.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
will glad if 3DS got hacked to release it from Region lock.

ALL region lock.
so we can access content like demos and videos from all region and play games from all region.

also will be awesome if it allow loading external data like Dolphin emulator can do with its games. so fan translation of japanese games can be done without piracy. just put the edited file on appropriate structure, voila it works.

ah.. dreams...

gshock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you mean reverse engineering the 3DS and documenting it, I don't think there needs to be any other reason or 'justification' to it.

Reverse engineering is fun for it's own reasons. That's good enough.

On the other hand I don't think it's right or ethical that you can buy a console and "own" it and yet not be able to use it the way you want to, including having full access to it ( from a hardware or software perspective ) or even run whatever code you want on it, instead somebody else decides that for you which makes absolutely no sense to me. That's not ownership. It's like a rental console that Nintendo/whoever owns and you get to touch and look at and play it - but only what they say you're allowed to of course and pay for all replacements and repairs, games and addons.

That's like buying a car and then finding out you can't drive it anywhere you wanted because Toyota or Honda didn't authorize first ( and you paying extra for the privelege too ) and too bad because they made the car you "own".

I consider it as the wrong approach to a broken or outdated business model ( regarding piracy and trying to protect data as if it were either a stealable or ownable object when it just isn't. ).

I think that if businesses were smart/wise enough and knew what they were doing they would not make systems that allowed piracy to exist or "hurt them" financially in the first place; not rely on people not to pirate their games because that's invevitably going to come up as an issue at some point and time seems to show that it's an ever loosing battle that criminalizes end-users pre-emptively ( before they've actually done anything wrong ) that consists of gimping hardware or software more to make a unrealistic business model "work". (regarding theft of data).

I've met people that were simply extremely creative and could make something on an opened platform better than a lot of the licensed professionally made products you can pay for given the same system. I think it's a good thing because it adds value to a system to have hobbiest creators/devs able to do so and it might also help them as well indirectly ( they might go commercial, shareware, or simply get donations in support of whatever they've created as well ). I think that's both in their interest and more indirectly everybody's. As a game player I'd like a really well made chunk of software even if it was made by a homebrew/third-party unofficial dev. and wouldn't mind dropping a few dollars or more to them if it was worth it to me. If that means they get paid, their living standard rises a little, and they get thanks for the creativity they were obviously already capable of, possibly for them to keep on doing it, then even better still. That doesn't devalue N's ( or whoever's ) console but the opposite theoretically and that type of work can also contribute to a community congretating around the system - these in theory are all good things.

If an exploit was found that users could take advantage of ( that wasn't a hardware modification or something impossible for most people to get their head around without jumping through too many flaming hoops to do so... ) then I would use the exploit for the sake of data mining and gaining more insight into the way the console worked from the inside out. I would then look into coming up with other exploits using that information and consider them for release so other third party developers or groups could both learn from it and have a chance use it and further their own projects. Exploits are usually patchable one by one but knowledge is irreversible.

It depends on how open the system is before further data mining and after extensive data mining was done. If the system was downgradable and system updates could be intercepted, taken apart and patched or replaced, well, you'd have a lot less reason to worry about a released exploit being patched.

You are posting this question on a gaming enthusiast forum on the internets where gaming and piracy are both common and individuals that actually reverse engineer their consoles or what they're talking about, appear be ranging from rare to non-existant. So of course you're going to get bias answers. (advocating gaming / pirating). Just saying.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is there even a regionlock to begin with? What if there's some Japan-only titles I wanna buy and play and support, and I can't because they refuse to work on my system? I never understood it.

Other than that, emulators all the way.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Why is there even a regionlock to begin with? What if there's some Japan-only titles I wanna buy and play and support, and I can't because they refuse to work on my system? I never understood it.

japanese games can be very naughty

such as games that involve stuff, thats illegal in a few places specially depending of ages the characters are

Reactions: 2 people

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo: Why make more money by releasing a translated Japanese game that everyone loves, when we can just wait several years, then remake it for another console for America!

-__- And they wonder why we pirate? So we can make translations of the games that they refuse to release!

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

japanese games can be very naughty

such as games that involve stuff, thats illegal in a few places specially depending of ages the characters are
That's why DoA Dimensions is banned here in Sweden.
The girls are under aged.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo: Why make more money by releasing a translated Japanese game that everyone loves, when we can just wait several years, then remake it for another console for America!

-__- And they wonder why we pirate? So we can make translations of the games that they refuse to release!
So this is why people pirate.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

So this is why people pirate.

Pokemon Black and White 2 comes out in June in JAP
EUR in October

i aint waiting but i buy the EUR when it comes out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp