Any real reason to release a hack?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by synce, Mar 20, 2012.

Mar 20, 2012

Any real reason to release a hack? by synce at 4:37 PM (10,743 Views / 0 Likes) 75 replies

1. synce
    OP

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    If someone were to find a software exploit why should he release it when there's barely any good games and Nintendo could just patch it? Look at the PS3, they released a hack and everyone's still stick on firmware from Jan 2011. The only games since then that you can play on a modded PS3 have to be individually cracked by Paradude. If I was sitting on something I think I'd just keep sitting on it. Or would you say there's good reason to make it public?

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    We* hack for homebrew not for piracy.

*By we, I mean hackers. I have no hacking skills. I do however have supreme wanking skills.

9 people like this.
  3. Giratina3

Member Giratina3 Official Lilac of GBATemp

United Kingdom
    That's the only reason i would want it hacked tbh.
    To see it's homebrew capabilities!
    Imagine a proper Sega Megadrive Emulator instead of JenesisDS, which cropped the screen due to the resolution of the DS being smaller.
    There are many possibilities, but we won't know til somebody finally cracks it. But that could be anytime. It's unknown and unpredictable.

4. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    only reason i want see hack is homebrew and remove that region lock

9 people like this.
  5. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    As other have said: homewbrew.

Also, I would want it for 'backups' as there are quite a few games that look really fun but I can't bring myself to spend £30 (e.g. Bit Trip. Saga, which is way overpriced).

6. OSpencerO

Member OSpencerO GBAtemp Regular

From Nashville, Tennessee In Knoxville, Tennessee
    Iceland
    I honestly believe that anything can be hacked the real question is when will the 3DS be hacked.
    I don't know how the 3DS will be hacked however I'm almost leaning toward some kind of soft-mod
    I kind of wish it would have been yesterday & I kind of hope it will be years from now but it will happen one day. :blink:
    The good thing that might come out of having to wait years is better quality games being released in the meantime.
    If the 3DS ends up having the same type of complications as the PS3 I hope the hack comes at the end of its lifespan.
    I think fame will be the biggest reason to release a hack for the 3DS when one is found.
    The reason might also be money if the 3DS can eventually be hacked by a flash cartridge.

Spencer

:yaynds:

7. saberjoy

Member saberjoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

India
    Just give me anti-region locking and i would be content.And no offense but i hope the op never tries getting into the hacking scene.

1 person likes this.
  8. AlexRawr

Newcomer AlexRawr Member

United Kingdom
    If you have some sort of 3DS hack you SHOULD release it. But riiiiiight after E-Shop comes back up and see if it works after the (if there is one) update :) I would also be happy to 'Test'. :D

9. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Currently the general public cannot even begin to search for exploits (through common methods at least) because:

1) We do not know how to decrypt eShop save files (thus we cannot even think of a non-card/non-hardmod yet)
    2) We do not know some checksums in Game Card save files (without knowing how to make those a modified save file cannot work)
    3) We do not know a lot about 3DS programming
    4) We do not have the common key AND private key (no way to decrypt and encrypt executables for the 3DS)

Basically, it's not possible to even begin searching yet for most people.
    And even if there was an exploit it would be virtually worthless right now to (almost) anyone.
    If you like a game, pay for it. If it's too expensive, go on ebay or wait for a while. I know I've been having a lot of fun even still with my launch titles, so there's no reason to rush to buy tons of games.

So no one can really release or make a hack yet, with the exception of neimod as he made his own hardware tools.
    I guess the term "Give a man a fish..." comes into play.
    What Nintendo is doing is giving us a fish.
    The hackers are teaching us how to fish.

I think most people who release hacks are doing it for homebrew and fun for the public. I know I'd love to open up homebrew and see what users can do.

10. elisherer

Member elisherer I ♥ 3DS

Israel
    Well said.

I personally love the 3ds, love its browser and on a more personal note wouldn't care much if the 3ds would be the
    first console not to get hacked at all...(it would definitly make it more appealing for game developers and would put nintendo on the
    top of the gaming industry, as they should be)

11. Tsukurimashou

Member Tsukurimashou GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Any real reason to ask that stupid question again?

1 person likes this.
  12. ytzone

Newcomer ytzone Member

United States
    I just wanna get rid of that FREAKIN region lock.

13. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I wouldn't mind seeing a hack from homebrew and homebrew only. Too bad people can never stop there :(

14. omega59

Member omega59 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    You are all liars! You just want to pirate games MUHAHAHAHHA. As soon as that first poster said "homebrew" you all jumped at it haha.

6 people like this.
  15. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Why would I want to see the 3DS hacked? Dude, the capabilities of the 3DS just screams HOMEBREW! I could see so many things be done with it. Emulation, tickering with the camera, etc.
    And of course, hacking would also help removing that REGION LOCK!!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    it's quite sad to see how many people play the "saint"
    c'mon, 90% of the people here wants it to be hacked for backups, stop saying that everyone wants it for only homebrew and the other way around as well: stop saying that piracy kills the console, it does -not-, as long as nintendo is putting up at least as much fight as they did with the wii
    my top priority is ofc back-ups, i mean, i'm sorry, but i'm a pirate i'm in quite the mess here because of the family and needing to move away, buy plane tickets, take care of an appartment etc etc, i'm not going to maintain even a small game collection, buy second hand games and you're giving as much support to the creators as you would pirating it
    i'm only waiting for VVVVVV to hit the eshop and maybe get mutant mudds, cuz it's sort of affordable without wasting too much money
    on other note, i would love to see some of my oldschool favourites hit the platform as i'm also quite the old-school gamer and the 3ds finally got enough power to pull of some neat emulation and pc ports, that was the main reason i bought a dsi instead of a ds, i was hoping it had better homebrew capabilites

hackers do it because that's what they want to, they want to show what they can do, want to learn and maybe earn money out of the deal
    once it works on at least 1 firmware, you just disable the wireless forever and STILL you get tons of games to play for free and homebrew, that alone worth to have a 3ds that's hacked but never updated/played online whatsoever, there's no point in waiting with a hack if it's availabe, if the hacker's making it for only piracy, why should he care what others do with the hack? from what i've seen the best of the hackers are just trying to pull of everything they can out of the system

17. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    You're all full of shit. People want console/handhelds hacked b/c they want to play backups aka "pirate games". I'll be the first to admit that the lack of pirating is the reasoning behind me not purchasing the 3DS. (Although, I'm going to buy the Fire Emblem 3DS. It's just too sexy to pass up.)

1 person likes this.
  18. chauffler

Banned chauffler Banned

United States
    This man speaks the truth!

19. omega59

Member omega59 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    how many more threads will there be about this?

20. lcleong

Member lcleong GBAtemp Fan

Malaysia
    real reason: fucking region lock!

1 person likes this.