Any help appreciated with semi-brick

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Wanted, May 14, 2011.

1. Wanted
    OP

Wanted GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    New Zealand
    Wellington NZ
    I tried to update my brothers phat 1000 from 3.51 m33-7 last night. I don't know much about the scene anymore and everything I tried to update to failed until I eventually tried a 3.52 m33 upgrade and now I can't get into the XMB. It just stays on a black screen for 20 seconds or so then powers off.

I can get into the m33 recovery menu and run the hellcats recovery flasher but it says I need to be at least 2.71 to work. Is there ANYTHING I can do to recover with such and old firmware?

I don't have a pandora battery but I have another PSP phat 1000 with Promethius loaded. Can I make a pandora battery to recover the other one then get it back to normal for my PSP? Or is the pandora mod one way? If I need to I will just have to buy a pandora battery and stick.

2. Magmorph

Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    You can softmod a battery into a pandora. It is easy to switch back and fourth. When you hit select on the xmb there should be an option to convert your battery.

3. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    Recovery Flasher 1.65 should work fine on 3.52. Are you sure you're using the latest release?

4. Wanted
    OP

Wanted GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    New Zealand
    Wellington NZ
    Yeah I tried 1.65 and it just gives that sorry 2.71 required message and exits. I think the 3.52 stuffed it up so maybe the recovery menu is the 3.51 m33-7 one.

I got PSPGrader and I have that other PSP and stick so I can try modding the working stick and battery for pandora as long as I can go back after. I'm just not sure Pandora will work when I can't really boot other than to recovery menu.

5. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    A Pandora makes the PSP boot from the MS so yes it should work fine.

6. Wanted
    OP

Wanted GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    New Zealand
    Wellington NZ
    Awesome. Thanks for the help. I'll try and make a pandora battery then. A lot of guides say MMS needs to be less than 4Gb and I only have 4Gb but I'll try anyway.

7. xist

Jul 14, 2008
    4GB is fine for a MMS.

8. Wanted
    OP

Wanted GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    New Zealand
    Wellington NZ
    I used pspgrader to make the stick but if I boot with L it stays black then powers off. If I use select in xmb and choose make pandora battery it doesn't do anything. vsh menu is enabled in the gen recovery settings too...

9. obito

obito I can have a title?! :O

Jan 21, 2010
    New Zealand
    Did you use the Pandora and MMS correctly? Like insert mms with power off, hold L then insert pandora?

Was the MMS made correctly? Did you format while making it, and did the IPL inject properly?

Also, are you sure the pandora was made correctly? I think if the psp managed to automatically power on while you held L and put the battery in, the pandora is fine, and there must be something wrong with the MMS..

10. Wanted
    OP

Wanted GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2002
    New Zealand
    Wellington NZ
    My MMS didn't like the IPL. Must be a clone which i suspected with the