Any good RPG games for DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Elisa_, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Kellicros

Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2006
    Wooot! Let's add Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, and Metal Gear Solid(Snake... SNAAKEE!!!) to that bunch of RPGs. [​IMG]

*cough*

I would recommend:

The World Ends With You
    Magical Starsign

These are personal favorites but currently in Japanese only:
    Tales of Innocence
    Final Fantasy 4

2. Szyslak

Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

Oct 31, 2006
    United States
    NY
    I can't believe no one is recommending the best RPG on the system:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

Soon to be eclipsed by FFIV DS.

BTW, there was a topic and a poll on this not too long ago. Dig it up.

3. Keitaro Urashima

Keitaro Urashima Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2007
    Try Rondo Of Swords. Its got a multiple ending like Chrono Cross & Chrono Trigger. XD

4. Hadrian

Hadrian Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    United States
    To be honest, I loved it when I played a bit in Japanese and then I finished the US release but when I got the actual Europe cart, I was a bit bored. Usually I can replay a Zelda game very shortly after finishing it and still find new things and find it exciting, this one not so.

Despite the feeling of repetition (after more than 25 years of Zelda games its to be expected) and its easiness I still thinks its a very good game, just would be nice if Nintendo had something NEW for the series other than the way you control, like how Majora's Mask was different to Ocarina of Time and Zelda II was to Zelda.

5. wilddenim

wilddenim Candy!

Sep 4, 2007
    UK
    warmijwilfaain - Yeah I know it's not a RPG, I was just recommending it. Okay?

6. warmijwilfaain

warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

Sep 30, 2007
    Kent. lolol
    And I'm saying as it's not an RPG it's not what he asked for, so it shouldn't have been posted in this thread [​IMG]

(Sorry if I'm sounding like a minimod or something lol, just saying that it doesn't apply)

7. Vater Unser

Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Oct 28, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Pen Island
    I'd actually prefer them going back to the roots for once to make a game that's more like A Link to the Past...no Ocarina, no annoying fairies, no masks, no sailing, no Twilight Zone, no Midna, no Wolf-Link...Just Link, a kickass Hyrule, some kickass towns, a kickass villain and some kickass dungeons with some kickass puzzle designs. That's what makes a Zelda game, fuck all the gimmicks [​IMG]
    I'm not ruling out any new additions and innovations of course, but they really should put their focus on the basics again, IMO

To stay on topic:
    I'm not playing that many RPGs, but from those that I've played so far, Contact is my favorite by far...it has its flaws, but hey, at least it's not another run-of-the-mill RPG that's just like hundreds of other RPGs out there...And finally a game on the DS that's clearly aimed at veteran core gamers [​IMG]
    It's the first game in ages that's able to catch the flair and atmosphere of classic SNES RPGs...it's much like Secret of Evermore, I think, so if you liked that, you should certainly try Contact [​IMG]

8. Tikker

Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Dragon Quest4 is awesome

9. Artheido

Artheido GBAtemp Fan

Aug 31, 2007
    England
    Currently, the best RPG that came out in English would be Children of Mana. I don't know why, I just love that game and the entire ARPG series (ARPG != Heroes of Mana)

The World Ends with You is a great, recently released ARPG, good storyline and battle system is new-ish.
    Luminous Arc was a good SRPG
    Rondo of Swords battle system is unique and strategical.
    Mario and Luigi - Partners in Time was OK

If you like rogue-likes, I would say Shiren DS is your best bet.

Japanese RPGs are the best, gameplay-wise. However, I don't understand any of the dialogue so there's not much point.

Oh and TLOZ isn't an RPG -.- Nintendo place it in the Action/Adventure genre along with every other major gaming site.

10. Vater Unser

Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Oct 28, 2004
    Gambia, The
    Pen Island
    ugh, I hate Children of Mana...
    It took me only 8 hours to watch the credits, and the game still managed to bore me halfway through [​IMG]
    Okay, the game IS fun at first...but it repeats over and over and over...you're visiting the same dungeons again and again, solve the same objectives and puzzles again and again, beat the same enemies again and again, and once in a while you get to fight a boss who's ridiculously easy [​IMG]
    I don't know much about dungeon crawlers to be honest, but I'm sure this game has little to offer even (or especially?) for fans of this genre...the combat system has little depth, the dungeons are tiny and offer little variety, it's not challenging and not a rewarding experience overall [​IMG]
    Anyone who's played Legend of Mana will hate Children of Mana, because it basically is Legend of Mana minus the awesome combat system, the awesome graphics, the awesome quest system, the awesome characters, the awesome music, the awesome towns and all the other awesome features...what a waste of time [​IMG]

11. kwan

kwan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    Children of mana and Hero's of mana is simply just shit. Worest RPG i have played sorry.
    and just as said before phantom hourglass phail in everyaspect iam sorry. btw wii's twilight prinecess is wat i call a real zelda game=]

12. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye
    Zelda games are not RPGs ... They are action-adventures ...

13. Awdofgum

Awdofgum Wadofgum

Mar 17, 2007
    United States
    QFT, Link never goes up a level and never does he “miss” even though you hit an enemy with a sword.

FF3 was IMO the best RPG on DS

14. Gestahl

Gestahl GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2006
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    DS is not an RPG machine. PSP on the other hand is a true JRPG sanctuary.

15. The Viztard

The Viztard GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2008
    United States
    Hueco Mundo...=P
    I enjoyed Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, FFCC Ring of Fates, FFIII, Rondo of Swords is ok, so is Mario and Luigi Partners in Time.

16. Ferrariman

Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Dec 9, 2007
    Canada
    Canader.
    IT'S A FUCKING CRISIS CORE!!!

17. kwan

kwan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    Lol wat ever. The point being is that phantom hourglass was a epic phailure if you measure it up to other zelda games, that feeling wasn't in the game. And FFIII was really good old school rpg.

18. cupajoe

cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

Aug 25, 2007
    United States
    Minnesota
    Probably because they want to boost their post count...

But the best RPGs for DS would include TWEWY, Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, Final Fantasy III/IV, Soma Bringer, and Mario and Luigi: Partners in time.

19. Harpuia

Harpuia GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2007
    United States
    My House
    I second this post! Exactly what I had in mind. [​IMG]

20. cutterjohn

cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2007
    United States
    Are you on crack? None of the three supposed RPGs for the PSP are evenly remotely good...

[EDIT]
    Unless you mean running PSX RPGs on the PSP, and others under other emulators, e.g. SNES, etc.

The native RPGs for PSP are pretty pathetic...
    [/EDIT]

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted