Hacking Any Easy Way to Identify Drive in 360 Slim?

Govest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok,

My old XBox recently died so looking to replace it. From reading it would appear that I'll be fine with a new xBox Slim as long as it doesn't have the Hitachi Drive or the Liteon Drive.

Without opening the box to see what drive is inside is there any way to determine what drive is in the xBox?

Is there any way to reduce my chances of getting one of these drives?

If I get one of these drives, can I pull the drive and replace it with another drive?

Thanks!

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can look at the tray to see if it's a lite-on or hitachi. http://www.xboxscene.com/versions-xbox360-dvd-model.php. Slim hitachi is the DL10N that picture, slim lite-on tray is the 164DS.

Can't tell what revision of the drive it is without opening it though. Doesn't matter for hitachi, but all lite-ons except the DG-16D5S with the 1175 firmware can be flashed, but you won't know what you have until you open it.

Buy an older box to reduce chances of getting them. Looking at 360drives.com, it would seem the new lite-on appeared around August. So getting a box made before then should hopefully get you an older drive. The newer hitachi seems to have a appeared around the same time, there is an older one that has been around for a long while, but only in small numbers, so you'd have to be unlucky to get one.

You can't pull it and replace, get the new lite-on or the hitachi are you are stuck with it for now.

Reactions: 1 person

Govest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks!

Basically then trick is to look for one manufactured before August 2011 (i.e. old stock) and with a Liteon drive would be a simple way to avoid the problem drives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1