Hacking Any downsides to running games off of external vs internal drives?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Also, what size externals are you guys using?

Is there an issue we had with PS3 games where the drive had to be FAT32, but some games had files larger than 4GB so they had to be split or run off internal?

stehilton94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Not any cons I noticed, but I noticed 1 massive Pro, My Ps4 Pro has was getting very hot and the fan was going crazy when I played certain games (Fifa, COD, UFC3), I moved them onto my External hard drive and now my Ps4 Pro is as quite as a mouse and doesn't get hot.

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Loading times and gameplay should be about the same, since most PS4 games were made to read the data from the internal HDD after they install.

The only "downside" would be if you have an original PS4 or a Slim, because they have USB 2.0 (which is limited to some 20 MB/s or so), while the PS4 Pro has USB 3.0. Games will install quicker on the Pro.

https://www.premiumusb.com/blog/usb-20-vs-usb-30-speed-test-results

Note: Some external USB 2.0 HDDs can go up to 30-40 MB/s, while USB 3.0 ones are 110-120 MB/s. It will vary depending on how the game files were split during their development, but even a "slow" internal will receive files faster from an external when using 3.0.

Last edited by DSpider,

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
... but even a "slow" internal will receive files faster from an external when using 3.0.

Are you implying that internal discs are faster than external? Because it would be clearly wrong as the internal HDD uses a SATA -> USB 3.0 -> Southbridge connection, in other words, internal and external discs have the same USB bottleneck, speed wise.

Reactions: KiiWii

Broka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@DSpider, that is entirely false.

OG and Slim series have 2 physical USB 3.0 ports, whereas the pro has 3!

The pro is also just 4k hdr faster processor. Not faster USB.:rofl2:

link

I was always under the impression that the pro came with two usb 3.0 ports and one (rear) usb 3.1 port (usb 3.1 has transfer speeds of up to 10Gbps)

Below quote is off the PS.US website/blog (would post a link but noob privileges won't allow it).
Q: Outside of higher gaming performance, 4K TV features, and support for 4K video streaming, are there any other benefits to PS4 Pro?
Yes. PS4 Pro will come standard with a 1TB HDD, faster Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), and a third USB 3.1 Gen.1 port on the rear of the unit.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was always under the impression that the pro came with two usb 3.0 ports and one (rear) usb 3.1 port (usb 3.1 has transfer speeds of up to 10Gbps)

Below quote is off the PS.US website/blog (would post a link but noob privileges won't allow it).

Regardless: the ps4 fat and slim are not 2.0.

On the link i posted above it doesnt mention 3.1....

Reactions: Broka

Broka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Regardless: the ps4 fat and slim are not 2.0.

On the link i posted above it doesnt mention 3.1....

If you type "ps4 pro usb 3.1" into google, the first link should be 'Tech specs | PS4 | PlayStation' via the PlayStation website. Then click the ps4 pro tab, mentions it there. (sorry don't mean to sound condescending, just can't post links yet).
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3

Yeah, the link you posted is the only place I've ever read that it has 3.0, weird.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you type "ps4 pro usb 3.1" into google, the first link should be 'Tech specs | PS4 | PlayStation' via the PlayStation website. Then click the ps4 pro tab, mentions it there. (sorry don't mean to sound condescending, just can't post links yet).

Yeah, the link you posted is the only place I've ever read that it has 3.0, weird.

When you see the term USB 3.1 Gen 1, this is just a fancy name for USB 3.0, and provides speeds up to 5Gbps. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is the new name for USB 3.1which provides speeds up to 10Gbps. ... It can certainly be hard to tell if your computer has USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports.1 Dec 2015

Reactions: Broka
D

Deleted User

1st gen PS4 games install super fast for me.

Sandisk 128gb ultra and tried a 4tb usb both were about the same.

kekec777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried a few and Wolf Old Blood would not run. Haven't bothered trying updates and or finding a fix. Going through my games and testing external.

I had also a few that didnt work (Resident Evil 7 & Far Cry Primal) they would ONLY run in internal HDD - sooo i took a close a look and found out it was the PERMISSION RIGTHS problem, i then changed the games .pkg to chmod 777
then tried again wollla it worked like a charm..

run cmd: chmod 777 FILENAME.PKG
then run to see if the permission/rights are correct: ls -l
It should look like this
drwxrwxrwx+

and if you want to change a folder / subfolders use this:
chmod 777 -R FOLDERNAME

try this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.