Anti-Piracy Measures

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nollog, Apr 17, 2011.

Apr 17, 2011

Anti-Piracy Measures by Nollog at 9:24 PM (2,686 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Nollog
    OP

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    So, I had a weird error playing shadow wars today, the screen went half-sized then after 1.2 seconds horizontally lined, then all black.
    Later on today I got the black screen of death.
    So I read up on when the errors were occuring, and two things come up:
    1. it's mostly ubidoft, but it happens in friends list, face raiders and a bunch of other applications too, so while ubisoft games seem to exasperate the situation, it's not the cause.
    2. Everyone who has the problem and posted about it had the internet switch ON, and say turning it OFF stops them from getting the error.

Could it be a callback to Nintendo wrongly marking what you're playing as homebrew or pirated software?

Given all Nintendo have said was it's advanced and the most technologically advanced anti-piracy they've ever done, it's possible.
    Does anyone have any packets during and before the BSOD?

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that having a packet capture of anything being sent would help since if it was related to AP it would be encrypted.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Nintendo is on your trail! Leg it and move to Africa, they're gonna brick your 3DS and sue you for big bucks!

...No.

Your 3DS is deffective or the software is bugged since it was rushed. Plain and simple.

4. Nollog
    OP

Ireland
    Huh?
    It's obviously a real cartridge.
    Callhomes are very common. And it's a good way to check.
    BSOD isn't a brick, it's the exact same as DSi's message when you put in an original R4.

5. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Don't pretend that you know something when you don't.

1. BSOD applies only to Windows-based systems.
    2. Of course "it's a real cartridge", what that's gotta do with anything?
    3. Your screen-related issues are probably connected to the hardware/software, not due to outside interaction. That can be quickly checked - turn off your router and check if the problems occour when the Wi-Fi module is turned on, but you're not connected. That way, you'll pin-point whether it's just you or the eeevil Nintendo admins are showing you the middle finger, which is as probable as finding an ice berg in the middle of Sahara.

The way I see it, your Wi-Fi module has an argument with the software or other hardware in the console, causing a freeze. That's it.

As far as the "most advanced AP system ever", in Nintendo's case they could just aswell put a video of Limewire Pirates that plays before you use Homebrew and it'd be an improvement from their current systems.

The only way to keep a console hack-free is to sell a viscious guard dog along with it, and Nintendo knows that.

6. funem

Member funem Retro Powered..

United Kingdom
    Easy there, BSOD is being used as a term for BLACK screen of death with the 3DS, as in the consoles screens go black and you have to reset (turn it off and on again) it to reuse it. Its not the most appropriate acronym to use as people (like yourself) confuse it with BLUE screen of death.

7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    *sighs* Sorry, perhaps I let my horses go too fast. I'm just bored and tired of people being scared of Nintendo's Uber Skillz and Super Surveilance Firmware that detects piracy and homebrew from a mile, because frankly, there's nothing pointing towards the existance of either.

Let's face it - Ninny Boys sucked at AP, suck at AP and will suck at AP, I don't think they care - the console will sell anyways as long as it has the Nintendo Seal, and people will develop games for it for the exact same reason.

8. Nollog
    OP

Ireland
    1. see above. I hate it being called BSOD too for the same reason.
    2. she seemed to imply I was pirating a game when I said that "maybe nintendo mistakenly mark it as a pirated game".
    2. I switched off my 3DS' internet and just played for 4 hours. No broke! Having said that, I've been playing shadow wars for about 16 hours in total and I've received the message once, and had the weird screen glitch only once too.(Both were in the same mission)
    I'm just saying it's a possibility since a lot of people on forums are reporting the error doesn't occur with wifi off.
    This could be call homes, or it could be overheating. I'm just asking for some assistance in proving it either way.

9. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Personally I think it's a matter of firmware. Even Nintendo states that the firmware is unpolished and limited and that users should prepare for a major update in May.

If any research is to be conducted, I think you should start after that grand update. Any work done before that will be a waste of time, since many things can still change.

All consoles have their quirks in their first days - you can't beta-test everything.

10. funem

United Kingdom
    They are not that bad at AP, the DSi isnt relly cracked properly and DSiWare is still relatively un-hacked, personally I cant see the 3DS being haced any time soon either.

11. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    funem, the DSi isn't fully hacked because nobody ever gave a damn about it - the ammount of DSi games is... *clears throat* "small", DSiWare's quality is desputable and the extended capabilities hardly improve Homebrew when you have DSTwo around with twice the potential horsepower.

...unless you want to use the cameras. Which are crap. And we all know that.

12. Nollog
    OP

Ireland
    The DSi was hacked, Nintendo just took the game off the shelves in less than a day.

Firmware or whatever, don't deny the possibility! [​IMG]

13. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Twiizers says Hi. And then Sudoku hides shyly under the leg of Twiizers because it's shy.

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DSTwo didn't come around for a while, though.

15. funem

United Kingdom
    The DSi was the weak link in the chain of DS's. It had potential with the extra processor power and features, it just was never used to any effect that anyone cared about, that said people like to hack systems for the bragging rights. I still think it will be some time though before the 3DS is cracked. Oh and the cameras on the 3DS are still crap they must have had some cheap components leftover or something.

16. damedus

Member damedus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The BSOD has to do intact with a call home protocol. Here's the testing.
    Shadow wars game:
    No wifi in range and wifi button on - no BSOD
    Wifi range and wifi button on - no BSOD
    Wifi range and wifi on AND using wifi to d/l stuff - got 7 BSOD
    Wifi range and button off - no BSOD

So it seems the 3DS scans the internet connection to upload check either notes they send you and if it times out you get BSOD it seems to happen in games with no online feature since it hasn't happened to me on SFIV. Only got those 2 games but i gotten some figures while playing SFIV and i notice the same blink but doesn't crash. Maybe Shadow Wars since it has no bonuses the 3ds is sending a call home to check for game updates and its crashing?

17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Neither are fully usable since Twiizers equals 1337 Secretz and Sudoku was taken down.

Your only bet to use DSi features like a civilized person is the iEvo, which is priced insanely high for the ammount of features it actually offers... And most of the stuff doesn't work unless you stand on your head and recite a psalm or something. No DSiWare either.

Sorry, but that's miles from being a "completely" hacked.

@damedus I have a GREAT idea. How about you check the traffic on your router, block the potential responsible IP's on your router like a real tester would and try again?

18. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I never said it was completely hacked, all I said was that Twiizers cared. Also, they're still working on hacking Sudoku, due to the fact that there were people who did buy it. Discounting it only because few people got it isn't a good idea.

19. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Personally I hope they will drop the subject entirely and hide the source for their stuff in the dark corners of their rooms while focusing on something that has actual demand - like the 3DS, perhaps?

The DSi can wait - noone of sane mind is actually looking forward towards having it hacked.

20. Nollog
    OP

Ireland
    Thanks for this.
    Maybe it's spotpass then, or firmware as what's his face said earlier.
    spotpass callhomes... krinje.